Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Drive Shaft Plug

I removed my driveshaft again and noticed that it is missing the plug on the pto side of the driveshaft....? I reached my finger inside the pto housing through the drive shaft hole and can feel a piece of rubber but I'm not sure if thats the plug itself that I feel or not. What exactly does the driveshaft slide up against inside the pto housing? Is there a rubber bump stop of some sort in there or is that my drive shaft plug?

If so any ideas how to get it out?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kp04rxp View Post
    I removed my driveshaft again and noticed that it is missing the plug on the pto side of the driveshaft....? I reached my finger inside the pto housing through the drive shaft hole and can feel a piece of rubber but I'm not sure if thats the plug itself that I feel or not. What exactly does the driveshaft slide up against inside the pto housing? Is there a rubber bump stop of some sort in there or is that my drive shaft plug?

If so any ideas how to get it out?

Thanks!
    Yep, that's the rubber drive shaft plug. I used a needle nose pliers to get it out. I cleaned it good and siliconed it back on the driveshaft so it would go in correctly when you put the driveshaft back in. No problem...

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    Yep, that's the rubber drive shaft plug. I used a needle nose pliers to get it out. I cleaned it good and siliconed it back on the driveshaft so it would go in correctly when you put the driveshaft back in. No problem...

Yep it was definately the plug... seems like it ripped off the shaft, the only piece left on the shaft was a small o-ring (looking) piece. Somehow the plug was in backwards thats why it didn't feel like the plug.. How does this happen?

Also now I can reach in and feel where the plug would be if installed on the shaft correctly... the "port" if you will where the plug slides into spins free and slides forward and backward just a bit. Is this normal?

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kp04rxp View Post
    ... the "port" if you will where the plug slides into spins free and slides forward and backward just a bit. Is this normal?
    Yes, it is a plastic piece that will move fore and aft about 1/8".

Part #9 here:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=118&B=2

great! the link did not work but I just wanted to confirm that was correct before I re-assembled everything.

Thanks!

The Rubber "Drive Shaft Plug" as shown in microfische >>> http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=118&B=12

ITEM # 12

is attached to the end of the Drive Shaft itself, or I guess, can be Siliconed in place if the nipple end dosn't stay in place by itself.

My question is, how do you remove and replace a damaged "Plastic Shaft End Piece" called a "Stop Sleeve" as shown in microfische >>>> http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=118&B=2

ITEM # 9

These are completely different part numbered items.

Some of the small plastic 'fingers' on mine are bent over and some are missing altogether.

Do you have to cut the Oetiker Clamp and remove the rubber PTO shield and end seal Bearing to get this "Stop Sleeve" piece out ?

It seems to be set back behind the Bearing in the bottom of the Drive Shaft hole and somehow locked behind the Bearing, although it spins OK and moves in and out approx. 1/8" when I try to remove it. ((????))

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by David_HX_RXP View Post
    ... My question is, how do you remove and replace a damaged "Plastic Shaft End Piece" called a "Stop Sleeve"?
    David, I was unable to remove the stop sleeve (item #9) because of the fingers... they would hang up on the inner lip of the output sleeve (#10). Since yours has some missing/bent fingers, you might be able to remove it, but will most likely damage the sealing ring (#11).

Removing the output sleeve may be necessary, but requires a lot of finesse and sometimes some heat.

You CAN install a new stop sleeve without removing the sleeve ,but again, the seal is easily torn, so have a new one on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by David_HX_RXP View Post
    The Rubber "Drive Shaft Plug" as shown in microfische >>> http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=118&B=12
    ITEM # 12
    is attached to the end of the Drive Shaft itself, or I guess, can be Siliconed in place if the nipple end dosn't stay in place by itself.
    Yes, siliconed. You just need something to hold it to the drive shaft until you get the shaft installed in the pto. The silicone will just temporarly hold it to the shaft for installation.

Quote Originally Posted by 05Limited View Post
    David, I was unable to remove the stop sleeve (item #9) because of the fingers... they would hang up on the inner lip of the output sleeve (#10). Since yours has some missing/bent fingers, you might be able to remove it, but will most likely damage the sealing ring (#11).

Removing the output sleeve may be necessary, but requires a lot of finesse and sometimes some heat.

You CAN install a new stop sleeve without removing the sleeve ,but again, the seal is easily torn, so have a new one on hand.
    OR..............

Would it be possible to cut off the Oetiker Clamp which holds and Rubber Shaft Protector (and Shaft Seal inside),, then remove // replace the 'Stop Sleeve" out from the backside ?

Engine is on a pallet, S/C removed for update, Water Pump housing removed for RR Thermo replacement. I have full access at this time, if this is possible it would be a good opportunity to get 'er done....
    Last edited by David_HX_RXP; 07-15-2008 at 03:40 AM. Reason: additional info

+1
    David... It appears your engine is in the same state as two of mine

Unfortunately, removing the Oetiker clamp and rubber shaft protector will not allow access to the stop sleeve and sealing ring, however, it would help in hopefully removing the two items through the opening of the output sleeve. If you are lucky enough to extract the stop sleeve through the end of the output sleeve (drive shaft to crank coupler) then shoving a new one in would be easy enough... and the replacement seal that will most likely be damaged

Otherwise, you will need to remove the "coupler" using a prop shaft tool for a GTX NA/GTX 185 SC... and a proper socket and HUGE breaker bar. If that fails, you will have to remove the PTO cover and use some heat... it's a chore to say the least

Pm for more details,

Jeff
    Last edited by 05Limited; 07-15-2008 at 04:17 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information