Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Too much oil

Too much oil

Can any one tell me if i will hurt my ski if i have too much oil in it and is it hard to drain to get it right ?? thank you

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang5x0 View Post
    Can any one tell me if i will hurt my ski if i have too much oil in it and is it hard to drain to get it right ?? thank you
    Yes and loose rpms also!
    No easy to drain with the right equipment oilboy evacuator!

You need to check the oil using the correct procedure: level the ski on the trailer or in the water, warm the engine, stop the engine, wait for 30 seconds, then check the oil. It should be between the bends on the dipstick... Ron

Try this!

Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    You need to check the oil using the correct procedure: level the ski on the trailer or in the water, warm the engine, stop the engine, wait for 30 seconds, then check the oil. It should be between the bends on the dipstick... Ron
    Kiwi Ways!

You have to get the oil out through the dip stick tube (I'm not kidding). Here's what I've done went to home depot got about 12' of tube that can go down the Dip stick tube. Insert it in the tube start sucking fill your tube with out drinking the oil . Just remove tube from the ski and blow it out into a can. Tastes like crap but it works. + & - warm oil will flow better! Warm Oil vapors taste no to good.

Fix about $ 5.00

+1
    yup..too high of a level and it can rob RPM's

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ghlight=change

Quote Originally Posted by Team.G View Post
    Kiwi Ways!

You have to get the oil out through the dip stick tube (I'm not kidding). Here's what I've done went to home depot got about 12' of tube that can go down the Dip stick tube. Insert it in the tube start sucking fill your tube with out drinking the oil . Just remove tube from the ski and blow it out into a can. Tastes like crap but it works. + & - warm oil will flow better! Warm Oil vapors taste no to good.

Fix about $ 5.00

You must be on a real tight budget, you know what kid of stuff is in used oil? Boater's World sells a small one thats only 30 bucks.

+1
    No one mentioned a drill pump? They work too and are pretty cheap.
    However, alot of folks don't have a convienient place to dispose of the spent oil so the "oilboy" is the way to go.
    Yall can have those $10 siphon pumps. LOL

When the ski is out of the water, ALOT of folks fail to make sure the ski is level before performing an oil change.

Personally, I got tired of dragging out my contractors level whenever I'd change/check the oil...so I opted to take a different route.

Cheap, super easy to install, and resembles a particular portion of the flux capacitor that some of you stage 3 guys are using. Slap it into your engine bay and you're in business. I would recomment using a small screw to secure the level. The adhesive doesn't care much for the heat in the engine compartment.

+1
    I will tell a quick story I have been chatting to Jerry about over PM - I recently did a complete overhaul of a 2002 4-Tec and strangely enough added more oil than I expected to add (4.6 quarts versus the stats in my maintenance manual of 4.1). Jerry has pointed out that you really should only have 3.75 quarts in the engine, but I cannot get a level on the dipstick with this amount. He stated the same procedure {as above} for checking the oil (I have used before), but to be honest, I don't find that the oil level changes that much on a 4-Tec from cold and level to hot and level. Just doesn't expand that much. I am not sure what the hell to do at this point. Based on this post - if the worst thing that happens is RPM loss - I am going to add until it gets to mid stick.

I am sorry, I hijacked a little. Best thing I have found it to go to an auto parts store and buy a brake bleed kit. Short of buying an oilboy, this can remove as much as you want in small spurts. You will need an adapter and the hard tubing sold at Lowes/HD to feed down the oil dipstick tube. Good luck. Maybe a few will add comments on the negatives of too much oil. Dipstick can be a little hard to read at times as well. Look in the middle, not the ends.
    Last edited by thompsdw; 07-14-2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Just a little more clarity ...........

Quote Originally Posted by RXPwildchild View Post
    No one mentioned a drill pump? They work too and are pretty cheap.
    Yall can have those $10 siphon pumps. LOL

I tried one of those, but they didn't last long. It's ok for one change, but don't expect them to last for years... Ron

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    I tried one of those, but they didn't last long. It's ok for one change, but don't expect them to last for years... Ron

Strange. I have several that I use on different boats/pwc's and these are several years old. I do agree with ya though Ron, they're not meant to last forever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information