Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cannot separate pump assembly

I took the entire pump off the ski because one of the long pump bolts broke off and cannot get any of the parts off of it. The wedge, stator, 4" extension and pump will NOT come apart. I have been penetrating the seams of these parts all day but they don't budge. Any ideas?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Turk,Did you just remove the 4 long bolts,or also the ones that have the nuts that hold the housing to the hull? If you remove the housing you'll have to realine the pump to motor. If your trying to just remove the stator,extension,etc. Get a 2x4 and work the pump side to side,with the 2x4 stuck into the tunnel area.I'll come. LEVERAGE always wins.

I took the 4 long bolts off and one of them broke. So I took the entire pump off (removing the 4 nuts). How do you realign? It doesn't look like the pump is adjustable in any way.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The housing is sealed with some superduper adhesive,Prying and maybe using a heatgun will help getting it apart. You'll have to align the engine to the housing,not vise versa,sorry. You'll need a alignment tool to do it.Some guys have some on here.Beerdart sells them and also rents them too.

Is the alignment process documented anywhere?

+1
    The alignment process is a snap. Once you have the new pump bolt (and potentially have the piece of broken bolt removed from the pump shoe):

- bolt the pump shoe back onto the hull making sure to use silicone etc between the hull and the shoe for a proper seal

- To check if bearings are in need of replacement, try pushing back and forth, and side to side while the impeller and stub shaft are still mounted to the stator. If there is any play or movement that you can feel while pushing the impeller or stub shaft end, then the bearings are weakening and need replacement, most likely along with the seals and orings.

- remove the impeller and stub shaft from the stator so that only the bearings and seals are left (if the bearings and seals are old this is the time to replace them.

- Once bearings and seals are confirmed good, mount the whole pump back on (still with impeller and stub shaft removed). This includes the 4 pump bolts too.

- get your hands on an alignment tool, some members of greenhulk have them circulating around for rental.

- When pump is bolted to hull, grease the alignment tool and slide it through the hole ...

- if it slides perfectly into the coupler hole then you are aligned, if not, add/remove shims under the engine mount plates until the alignment tool slides in smoothly ALL THE WAY.

- Once you get a good fit, remove the stator again (dont need to remove the pump shoe) and reinstall the impeller and stub shaft.

- bolt the pump all back together and you are aligned!

Hope this helps, I've had to do it twice and it worked great both times .

Thanks Cal, that sounds really easy. My problem right now is that I cannot separate the shoe from the extention (wear ring?) and the extention from the stator. Got any tricks? I have not yet tried to reinstall the pump and use a 2x4 as a lever against the hull/ride plate. I am not comfortable trying this...is this how you were able to separate them? Is the extention and stator bolted together somehow? Also, I don't understand how the alignment can get thrown out when the pump just bolts back up to the hull???

+1
    Maybe the pump shaft is stuck.
    Last edited by DP.; 07-15-2008 at 11:38 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by turk0004 View Post
    ...My problem right now is that I cannot separate the shoe from the extension (wear ring?) and the extension from the stator. Got any tricks?

I have not yet tried to reinstall the pump and use a 2x4 as a lever against the hull/ride plate. I am not comfortable trying this...
    You need to apply considerable sideways force to the pump body, and at the same time be gentle with it.

A good length of 2x4 gives you that combination. You can lever the pump back and forth, and work it loose. You will be moving the pump end maybe 1/2 inch each way, back and forth.

Be sure the boat is strapped down, so you have better control over the levering of the pump.

Once the corrosion breaks free, the whole thing typically will come straight out with a medium strength pull.

Often the drive shaft comes out with the pump, and it can let go suddenly when you are pulling it straight back, so be prepared for the release.

is this how you were able to separate them? Is the extension and stator bolted together somehow?
    The only thing holding the pump sections together are those four LONG bolts. Each section has a ring lip that fits inside the next section, and this is where the corrosion builds up and sticks them together.

Also, I don't understand how the alignment can get thrown out when the pump just bolts back up to the hull???
    First off, sometimes the pump to engine alignment from the factory was not 100%, although Polaris did get better at this in later years.

Second, when you replace the pump base, even a slight difference in how the base fits against the hull, with sealant underneath it, can affect how the drive shaft meets the engine coupler.

Even a little misalignment can result in unwanted spline wear in the coupler or the impeller ends of the drive shaft.

When you get that pump off and apart, take the time to clean the mating surfaces of each section. When clean, they should fit together nicely, with the joint between sections closing nicely, no gaps, high spots, or dings affecting the mating.

Use anti-seize compound between each section when you re-assemble.

Ok, tried the 2x4 trick and the pump did not/would not move. Actually put a small crack in the hull with the 2x4. Anybody have this much trouble separating the pump assembly? I wonder if at some point these pieces were glued together?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information