Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another 1996 XP Bogger

I tried to find an answer to my probs on an earlier post but couldnt find anything. Heres the deal, stock 96xp that i bought this spring, first changed lines, and got new plugs and gapped them to factory specs. Wouldnt go above idle when i took it to lake. Cleaned Raves. Took carbs apart, cleaned out all the filters (very dirty), put all back together. Set the idles at 1.25 and other at 0. Cleaned out main fuel filter. Took her to the lake and ran perfect for 2 hours. I dont remember what exactly happened then but gas gauge said it was empty so i put it on reserve (tank had at least 4-5 gallons in it, dont know if reserve has that much). Dont remember if i drove it much after that but think i might of. Anyways it wouldnt start again so i got a tow to the dock put her on the trailer and it started right up. I had no idea what the deal was so i took out the fuel selector switch and cleaned it. Still runs great out of the water but i have taken it to the lake twice and it will start in the water but bogs when i give it much gas. Wont go much over 3-4 mph. Seems like its choking itself out as it is very smokey when it starts. Plugs are dark and oily. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!!!

The excessive smoking sounds like internal crank seals (not exactly what you want to hear). If the motor has alot of hours, this is a common problem. It is not probable that it is the oil pump, but it is possible. Check to confirm that the oil pump cable has not come off the pump. If it does, the pump goes to full output to protect the motor.
    Robert V

It ran a week ago for 2 hours straight with the regular amount of smoke a 2 stroke should have.

+1
    Check the carb filters again. If you didn't clean the tank they may have crapped up again. The excess fuel can be leaky needle & seat.

Any other opinions on this? I was kind of thinking the needle valve, but was hoping i didnt have to take the carbs apart again.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by mburgert View Post
    Any other opinions on this? I was kind of thinking the needle valve, but was hoping i didnt have to take the carbs apart again.
    It could be a carb problem, not wanting to transition from the low circuit to the high circuit, too high pop off is one cause.
    Sometimes going a size smaller on the pilot jet helps, that's the easiest thing to change, if it doesn't work, try lowering the pop off.
    Make sure your needle and seats are clean and not sticky.
    Pull the gas tank and make sure it's clean.
    Last edited by ski pimp; 07-17-2008 at 12:23 AM.

I'd go back through the carbs as well as checking to see how much crap is in the tank. If the filters where dirty before it may still be sucking stuff up out of it. May be some trash stuck in a jet as well. I had a 720 do this to me once. Cleaned the filters, ran the tank down and picked up more trash out of the bottom. After the second go through of the carbs I pulled the tank and cleaned it real well. Lots of trash in the bottom.

Cleaned out the tank today and it was full of black gunk so its good that i did that. Took the screen off the bottom of the sending unit and cleaned it out with some carb cleaner as it was dirty too. I sprayed some fogging lube in the cylinders (so it didnt run dry as the fuel was getting through the system) and tried to start it up. Cranked it, it smoked as expected and started a little, stopped it after a couple seconds, did this a few times, then tried again and got the loudest backfire i have ever heard (louder than a gunshot seriously). Freaked me and my roomates out, neighbors came out side etc.... I took the plugs out sprayed some more lube in there and cranked it without the plugs and sounded normal, put the plugs in without the wires attached, cranked it, and it still sounded normal. Thats where i stopped for fear of another backfire. Hopefully it will start in the morning, but man talk about a backfire. I hope nothing is messed up.

Master of the Dooniverse
    probably was just flooded. last time one backfired near me it took out the exhaust elbow. and that a-hole Puffer wouldn't sell me one! HAHA....i guess he doesn't like my humor.

Joe

umm, I am deaf now!!!!!

Scenario:

Friend purchased used '96 XP Monday. Took it to water and it ran ROUGH, took a long time to warm up and bogged down at times.

1. We replaced plugs, fuel filter, oil filter, cleaned aftermarket K&N with K&N kit, added SD Oil, added 93 Octane Fuel, added measured amount of Sea Foam to fuel tank.

2. Idles FAST

3. Give it gas and it bogs at first, then KABAAM!!!!

Our heads and the neighbors are spinning from the BACKFIRE!!!!

4. We are not CARB men, I mean I like Rice as much as the next man but tearing down and rebuilding a carb is not a happy thought. Is this REQUIRED in this scenario?

Not to hijack but it was eerily similar to your experience!!!!

Please help
    1IH & HotDutchOven

Quote Originally Posted by mburgert View Post
    Cleaned out the tank today and it was full of black gunk so its good that i did that. Took the screen off the bottom of the sending unit and cleaned it out with some carb cleaner as it was dirty too. I sprayed some fogging lube in the cylinders (so it didnt run dry as the fuel was getting through the system) and tried to start it up. Cranked it, it smoked as expected and started a little, stopped it after a couple seconds, did this a few times, then tried again and got the loudest backfire i have ever heard (louder than a gunshot seriously). Freaked me and my roomates out, neighbors came out side etc.... I took the plugs out sprayed some more lube in there and cranked it without the plugs and sounded normal, put the plugs in without the wires attached, cranked it, and it still sounded normal. Thats where i stopped for fear of another backfire. Hopefully it will start in the morning, but man talk about a backfire. I hope nothing is messed up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information