Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: SC Pulley broke

  1. #1

    SC Pulley broke

    This is just an FYI, My 07went into limp mode after serious jumping and found the SC idler pully snapped, shredded the belt and flooded the engine with gas.


  2. #2
    www.eastcoastpwc.net Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7,992
    +1
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapps 250X View Post
    This is just an FYI, My 07went into limp mode after serious jumping and found the SC idler pully snapped, shredded the belt and flooded the engine with gas.
    Snapped? Got any pics?

  3. #3
    Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    5,563
    +1
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapps 250X View Post
    This is just an FYI, My 07went into limp mode after serious jumping and found the SC idler pully snapped, shredded the belt and flooded the engine with gas.
    are you sure the bearings didn't go..... i would like to see a picture of the snapped pulley. they don't snapped, the crack and break apart and even at that, that is a very hard thing to do

    ultra's are meant for jumping...... and as far as shredding the belt and flooding the engine with gas, if the belt comes off at most it will do is foul the plugs out from dumping fuel in from being under boost.... after that.... it should run like a N/A motor.... i've seen it multiple times on blower cars.... the belt shreds, fouls the plugs but still runs as if the blower wasn't there.

    it happened to me twice on my 04 Cobra.... i am thinking your bearings locked up which caused the belt to shread which would explain the extra gas in the cylinders... which also leads me to believe that more than likely you ride in saltwater and at some point submerged the boat and got water in the engine compartment which corroded the bearings to the point they locked up..

    i know this from experience, not from seat of my pants guessing

  4. #4
    Dubz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,509
    Wow! Guess these crafts are NOT meant to be jumped. Did you suck in some water some where? Were you on the throttle when in the air? Did the internal shaft break off, causing the pulley to fall off/break? This does not surprise me the least bit.
    Not sure about the gas though. How would the SC cause a gas leakage, unless the pulley got thrown around in the hull, and cracek the gas tank or gas line.

  5. #5
    Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    5,563
    +1
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubz1 View Post
    Wow! Guess these crafts are NOT meant to be jumped. Did you suck in some water some where? Were you on the throttle when in the air? Did the internal shaft break off, causing the pulley to fall off/break? This does not surprise me the least bit.
    Not sure about the gas though. How would the SC cause a gas leakage, unless the pulley got thrown around in the hull, and cracek the gas tank or gas line.
    see my post above yours regarding the gas in the engine.... its not uncommon for that to happen.


    although it is uncommon for a pulley to break.... i have gone through bearings but not a complete pulley

  6. #6
    Dubz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,509
    If you snap the shaft that goes to the pulley, it wont go over 1500 rpms, and you wont do more than 5 mph. You might as well call in the tow boat! You can easily tell if your SC went out by checking your relief valve. At idol you should have air blasting out of it. If your SC took a chit, you will NOT have any air coming out. Lets say your see your belt still intact, its spining nicely, you say WTF is wrong, no RPM's, my ski is bogging, cant get over 2K rpms. WHATS WRONG?? Your plugs WILL foul MAJORLY (is that a word). Or if your lucky, it will ONLY be the bearings, and you can buy replacement for those that are on the tension wheels. R&D sells them.

    Has anyone changed out the bearing ON the actual SC, NOT the ones on the actual pulley. The SC has I believe 4 bearings on it. 2 on the front, and 2 on the rear. Can they be replaced?

  7. #7
    Dubz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    although it is uncommon for a pulley to break.... i have gone through bearings but not a complete pulley

    How about a complete SC?

  8. #8
    Ive seen the S/C snout snap off do to over tightening the belt but not from jumping waves. Still the Ultra wouldnt be my choice for jumping. Anything over 1k pounds is going to beat on every part in the ski when launch and landing

    Show us some pics. We might be able to help ya out before buying a new charger.

  9. #9
    Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    5,563
    +1
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubz1 View Post
    If you snap the shaft that goes to the pulley, it wont go over 1500 rpms, and you wont do more than 5 mph. You might as well call in the tow boat! You can easily tell if your SC went out by checking your relief valve. At idol you should have air blasting out of it. If your SC took a chit, you will NOT have any air coming out. Lets say your see your belt still intact, its spining nicely, you say WTF is wrong, no RPM's, my ski is bogging, cant get over 2K rpms. WHATS WRONG?? Your plugs WILL foul MAJORLY (is that a word). Or if your lucky, it will ONLY be the bearings, and you can buy replacement for those that are on the tension wheels. R&D sells them.

    Has anyone changed out the bearing ON the actual SC, NOT the ones on the actual pulley. The SC has I believe 4 bearings on it. 2 on the front, and 2 on the rear. Can they be replaced?

    yes they can be replaced.... thats was part one of last summers saga.... part two of the saga culminated with the glorious display of rod exiting motor via stage right......

  10. #10
    Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    5,563
    +1
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubz1 View Post
    How about a complete SC?
    yep been there done that

    my boat was at the dealership more last season than it was in my own garage

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FS - Parts FS-2009 Ultra260X Supercharger- pulley shaft and SC mount broke- $ 200
    By KWO in forum Kawasaki Classifieds
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-21-2012, 10:42 PM
  2. SC Shaft Broke
    By Envy in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 08:03 PM
  3. Replacing SC pulley and belt tensioner wheel
    By akk745 in forum Kawasaki Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 02:53 PM
  4. anyone used/runin R&D 1:1 or higher SC pulleys
    By Gappa in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-10-2009, 02:53 PM
  5. Holding Crank Shaft, for SC Pulley removal??
    By English Bob in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 06:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •