sportster scic mods

hello people - have been directed here from jetboating.net as it seems this forum is more suited to my needs at present - so here goes - am currently trying to establish the exact requiremenst for insatlling the riva air filter kit and free flow exhaust - understand most requirements - basically as far a s i understand the following is correct and please correct me if im slightly off - remove the hose from the black box to the supercharger, leave black box alone. connect riva kit to supercharger. fit catch can to crank breather. new air filter will sit approx by fuel tank -
    heres the confusing bit - i understand that the electronic wires to the top of the black box is a rectifier and gets cooled by the air intake - so when i have reconnected the new filter there will be no air going thru this black box - therefore how will this now be cooling these rectifier fins as presumable hot air from the engine will get in the black box? -
    secondly would it not be better still to try and get the air filter somewhere near an external vent so its sucking in cooler air - i would imagine tha air just above the fuel tank to be warm? so can i utilise some of the existing hose and add the riva hose to this so that the filter is higher and closer to external air? i appreciate that there is probably a max length you can go to but it would seem that doing this would still be shorter than the stock intake length????
    lastly does anyone know where to look for probs re speedo and tacho - mine are both dead - but the 2amp fuse on the port side bulkhead in engine comp is fine - all connections to rear of gauages are fine also - dont know where else to look?
    thanks v much for any help

info on rectifier

Lunasea - as a "newbie" here and one of those on jetboating to steer you to these pros, I suggest you go to the "performance forum" and run a search of that forum using the term "rectifier." I did and found what I think you're looking for.

I really want to get a sportster scic but don't know about the sc clutch going out. Its choppy most of the time and I play hard. I want to jump waves with it. Saw a guy with a DX or LI don't know what it was called but it was the smaller model before this one, the 2 stroke.

Amazed at the air he got from a boat.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hornet
    I really want to get a sportster scic but don't know about the sc clutch going out. Its choppy most of the time and I play hard. I want to jump waves with it. Saw a guy with a DX or LI don't know what it was called but it was the smaller model before this one, the 2 stroke.

Amazed at the air he got from a boat.
    the sportster LE DI.... the 951 direct injection motor.... they aint bad, but the 4-tec sportsters are much better

i'm kinda wanting an SCIC sportster also... our shop is on long island which means lotsa rough, lotsa ocean riding, and the rough great south bay. We've had PLENTY of skis come in for SCs over the past 2-3 years, many many many. never tho has a boat come in for a bad SC so far, fingers crossed.

even tho the sportster is small, and gets its fair share of air, it's not NEARLY half as much as an RXP or other SC'ed ski, so the clutches on the boats do not seem to be giving people problems yet at all even in the rough stuff where we live.

I Installed The Air Filter Kit On My Sportster Scic A Couple Of Weeks Ago. All You Said Is Correct. Bracket B Does Not Work Beacuse The Filter Element Hits The Fuel Tank. I Used Some Tie Wraps That Fastened To The Air Tube (where Bracket B) Would Attach And Tied To Top Of Engine Where Some Factory Tie Straps Are Fastened, The Filter Sits Above The Fuel Tank About 8". I Completely Removed The Air Box. I Mounted The Voltage Regulator To The Far Side Of The Air Box Mounting Bracket Using The Bracket Mount Bolt. I Have Put On About 10 Hrs On It And No Problems With The Regulator Or The Mounting Of The Air Tube. I Am Very Impressed With The Increased Performance Especially Out Of The Hole. My Rpm Increased 200 To 7800 And Top Speed By 2.2 Mph To 56.9mph. I Think I Will Try The Riva Intercooler And Supercharger In The Next Few Weeks. I Have To Do Some Research 1st To See How It Will Fit.

Quote Originally Posted by sportster View Post
    I Installed The Air Filter Kit On My Sportster Scic A Couple Of Weeks Ago. All You Said Is Correct. Bracket B Does Not Work Beacuse The Filter Element Hits The Fuel Tank. I Used Some Tie Wraps That Fastened To The Air Tube (where Bracket B) Would Attach And Tied To Top Of Engine Where Some Factory Tie Straps Are Fastened, The Filter Sits Above The Fuel Tank About 8". I Completely Removed The Air Box. I Mounted The Voltage Regulator To The Far Side Of The Air Box Mounting Bracket Using The Bracket Mount Bolt. I Have Put On About 10 Hrs On It And No Problems With The Regulator Or The Mounting Of The Air Tube. I Am Very Impressed With The Increased Performance Especially Out Of The Hole. My Rpm Increased 200 To 7800 And Top Speed By 2.2 Mph To 56.9mph. I Think I Will Try The Riva Intercooler And Supercharger In The Next Few Weeks. I Have To Do Some Research 1st To See How It Will Fit.
    Can you post some pictures of the install??? Also what kit did you buy?

Thread Information