Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question tapping power for portable GPS..

hEY ALL,
    I would like to know... has anyone SUCESSFULLY(meaning no stalled crafts 200 mi away from land or getting stranded in ANY due to this new Install) installed a cable(power) from the Battery to power up a portable Gps unit?I have the Garmin unit 76CSX.... I forgot to replace my batteries yesterday...I was just screwing around was not far from Shore all but just wanted to play Navigator.. I Bought the cable but never Hooked it up. It's only 2 wires.. so it ain't no thing.. but i was just curious..
    thanks.

I dont see why you couldnt run a wire off the battery - and + terminals to power the unit but I dont know about how the water would affect the area that plugs in the back. I have the same gps so if you try it and it works good ,post back.

Dedicated GPS Power

Got dedicated power cable for Garmin GPS 440/540 Chartplotter with G2 3d Vision. Runs straight to 2nd battery.

But for regular handheld gps, Id just carry 4 extra AA batts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPS Power 002.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	83087  

+1
    Blown,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Good unit huh? I also go the extra maps with it for the NE.. I gave it to a friend to test out last fall.. he told me that it's a good unit and it will be more than i will ever need.
    I would probally keep the unit in the "glove box" while underway.. looking at it occasionally. althought looking at it all the time would be neat... I have to think about safety first. I found out that some place require your head to be on a spindle.. not staring at a NAV screen... I know me.I know what i would do.. If i do do this i will lwt you know...

+1
    Hey Blue...
    2nd battery huh? That sounds like a good idea.. but i know that i would not go that route.. Carrying The AA's are looking better to me all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by giguchan View Post
    .Carrying The AA's are looking better to me all the time...
    Yeah, I think simpler is better. The wires in the power cord for the 76csx look incredibly flimsy to me. I wouldnt trust them in marine environment. Much easier to just change batterys. I got sets of double AAs stashed in various sealed bags to power gps, radio, strobe, flashlight etc. Got a cig lighter plug to charge cell phone. Passed on the portable solar charger though. No sense going too crazy!

+1
    Yeah who you go crazy? certainly not! I'll bet you would not even hear of such nonsense!
    The Cord is supposed to be used in the Marine Envoirment, but you are right... after looking at the Garmin cable .. I do agree.. the wires do look a tad flimsey.. I dont think the thing uses much current... Hmm... better to be safe than on fire!

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    Gents

do not use copper wire.
    use a marine grade fuse holder
    solder and heat shrink wire to wire connections and then coat them in a sealing compound

Hardwire your GPS. We have bar mounted units shutt off all the time because the AA will loose just a brief contact and shutting off the GPS. Sucks rebooting it especialy in an offshore race. Hardwiring it aviods this problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skips313 View Post
    Hardwire your GPS. We have bar mounted units shutt off all the time because the AA will loose just a brief contact and shutting off the GPS. Sucks rebooting it especialy in an offshore race. Hardwiring it aviods this problem.
    I fixed this problem on a garmin map60c mounted on the bars by putting a small block of wetsuit material behind the battery contacts forcing extra pressure on the battery ends. Also laid a peice across the batteries between them and the lid. In doing this it seemed to stop all movement.
    cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information