Help! SP 1996 Idles but won't run

Hey Folks,
    I have a problem I can't diagnose. If you guys can help me, my son and I would really appreciate it.

1996 SP Original owner

Choke the engine, hold the choke out and it starts and idles forever.
    Push in the choke and it stalls.
    With the choke out and give it gas it stalls.
    Can't get it to rev past idle

I already:
    Cleaned fuel filter
    Drained all old gas and replaced with fresh gas
    Used Carb cleaner on carberator
    It hasn't ever been submerged or flipped.

I'm lost.

Thanks,
    Tom Toro

Banned User
    Start with new spark plugs.

Internal filters to the carbs become plugged up in this generation of boats - mostly from the grey fuel hoses as they deteriorate. These are 12 year old boats now, you know.

Carb cleaner doesn't get this junk out when things are assembled. You would have to remove the carbs, take apart the plate facing the front of the boat or each carb to remove a pencil sized screen.

Then you need to make sure the low and high speed adjusters are set correctly.

Also, you could be having some type of clog in the fuel selector valve. A quick test for this is to see if it runs differently on Reserve vs. On.

I appreciate the reply JPX. I did the spark plug change already, so I'll look into a clog in the fuel selector valve. I did notice recently it started better on reserve than regular before it started this huge running problem.

Thanks very much,
    Tom Toro

Quote Originally Posted by JPX View Post
    Start with new spark plugs.

Internal filters to the carbs become plugged up in this generation of boats - mostly from the grey fuel hoses as they deteriorate. These are 12 year old boats now, you know.

Carb cleaner doesn't get this junk out when things are assembled. You would have to remove the carbs, take apart the plate facing the front of the boat or each carb to remove a pencil sized screen.

Then you need to make sure the low and high speed adjusters are set correctly.

Also, you could be having some type of clog in the fuel selector valve. A quick test for this is to see if it runs differently on Reserve vs. On.

Well, the passage from the gas tank to the gas on/off/res valve is clear, but I can't blow through the fuel filter. I've cleaned the screen and it flows nicely in, but won't flow out. Here's hoping that's it.

Well, I followed the fuel system to the carb and all is clear up to it. I bought a rebuild kit and will assemble it this weekend. Hopefully this will help the problem. I found the filter JPX was talking about and it's completely clogged as I can't blow through it at all and it's a lot darker than the one you show in your pic.

One more question: Is there a particular solvent I should ask for to soak the carb parts in?

Thanks,
    Tom

Thread Information