Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 96 Venture - Premix/Blockoff Thoughts

Ski: 1996 Yamaha Wave Venture 1100 - Bone Stock

Alright, I've spent a number of hours reading threads around here on oil pumps, block-offs, premixing, and everything I could think of that's related. I think it might have made me more confused than I was before.

I get the benefits of ditching the oil pump, the lines dry, crack, fall off, and so on, which WILL lead to engine failure (bad, very bad engine failure).

My ski is 12 years old now and so far, so good. There haven't been any oil pump problems. The reason I was planning to dump the oil pump was to cut back on the smoke at idle. The area's I ride require a large amount of idling, and the smoke just gets annoying after awhile. I'm under the impression that since my ski doesn't have a variable oil pump, it pumps the same amount of oil at idle as it does at WOT, which is the main cause for the smoke. My thought was that when using premix, less fuel (and therefore less oil) will be pumped into the cylinder, which should at least cut back on the smoke. Is this (in general) true, or does it depend more on the ratio I'm running?

I'm thinking I've got a few choices:

A) Lose the pump and go premix.
    B) Replace oil lines, double zip-tie, stick with Yamaha oil.
    C) Replace oil lines, double zip-tie, switch over to synthetic (Amsoil?).

The carbs are coming off at the end of the season no matter what, so I don't mind taking the extra time to replace oil lines or doing whatever I need to do to help nurse the oil pump along. I'm really wanting to do whatever I can to cut back on the smoke.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by kingstretch; 07-15-2008 at 07:51 AM.

I would just do pre mix, The oil block off plate is 10 bucks. And little more of a hassle when you fill up, But i rather take an extra 5 mins to premix then have to spend 1k Plus and 5 hours pulling and replacing the motor.

Yea, I actually already bought the block-off, I just haven't installed it yet. I understand the risk of not going premix, but I'm trying to avoid having MORE smoke than I have right now with the injection.

The way I see it I'm either going to need to spend more time premixing, or spend more time inspecting oil lines and fittings. I don't care which one I do, I understand the importance, I'm just trying to figure out which one will help me keep the smoke down. Maybe the answer is, "Either, if you switch to synthetic."?

If you switch to a better oil it will help, The oil i run is 70 bucks a gallon, But i run at 60-1 and have no problems and no smoke, also the oil injection does not give same ratio everytime.

the stock ratio is 50-1.......60-1 is a bit lean on oil no matter what brand.
    And as far as smoking more if you mix 50-1 the same as the stock injector you will be putting exactly the same amount of oil as the injector was putting in for you, so theres no reason for it to smoke any more or any less.....which is the least of all the things to be worryed about. 2 strokes smoke, if you dont see smoke your bike is dead, seeing smoke means there is plenty of oil. Work pass this and go pre-mix.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    Like Jdog said, the oil pimp gives you 50:1 regardless. just like if you were to premix. I went as far as installing a variable oil pump on mine, but it's not that easy on a stock ski.

you can:
    -replace the oil lines and probably be good for another 10 years.
    -go premix with whatever oil you are currently using and gain peace of mind, but still have smoke
    - try synthetic oil either premix or injected. it will smoke less.
    - if you want to run premix and have very little smoke, try this oil. I run it in 2 outboards and 2 of my ski's. http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/ato.aspx?zo=1520362
    Last edited by addicted; 07-16-2008 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingstretch View Post
    Ski: 1996 Yamaha Wave Venture 1100 - Bone Stock

The reason I was planning to dump the oil pump was to cut back on the smoke at idle. The area's I ride require a large amount of idling, and the smoke just gets annoying after awhile. I'm under the impression that since my ski doesn't have a variable oil pump, it pumps the same amount of oil at idle as it does at WOT, which is the main cause for the smoke. My thought was that when using premix, less fuel (and therefore less oil) will be pumped into the cylinder, which should at least cut back on the smoke. Is this (in general) true, or does it depend more on the ratio I'm running?

What are your thoughts?
    You are correct, in that, your 1100 does indeed pump the same amount of oil at idle as it does at WOT. It does not have a variable pump. Going to premix will cut down on the smoke at idle but not eliminate it of course. Additionally you get the added peace of mind knowing your motor is always getting oil.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    Like Jdog said, the oil pimp gives you 50:1 regardless. just like if you were to premix. I went as far as installing a variable oil pump on mine, but it's not that easy on a stock ski.
    How can you be getting a 50:1 ration at all times if it is not a variable pump. Since it is not variable it pumps the same amount of oil all the time regardless of throttle position. So at idle with relatively little fuel flow it will be getting a richer mixture than at WOT. I may be missing something and am open for discussion.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    That would be incorrect. Oil pump is driven by the crank. The slower it spins, the less oil it squirts.

Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    That would be incorrect. Oil pump is driven by the crank. The slower it spins, the less oil it squirts.
    Ok well that makes sense. So the variable pump actually changes the ratio then from leaner at idle to richer at WOT?

I kept thinking of the pump as if it were "electric" and flowed the same all the time and did not change with RPM. You learn something new every day!
    Last edited by roost5o; 07-16-2008 at 09:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information