Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2003 MSX 140 General maintenance Questions

Own a 2003 MSX 140ho it has around 140 hours and is operated in salt water. Idles at 1100 rpms Max rpm about 6500

I've owned it for about a year and starting to notice a few things.

These are the problems I've had lately (this season):
    • Noticed that the ski is missing especially in the upper 2000s (rpm)
    • Spark Plug came loose while out on the water!!! really pissed me off because it ended a day of fun and when it was installed it was properly torqued. But when back at the dock I retorqued it to what the manual said.
    • The ski takes a long time to cool off. I typically leave it on a lift uncovered. I can come back the next day take the seat off and it is still noticably warm inside.
    Things I'm noticing:
    • Dots of black slimy crap on the interior bottom of the hull
    • Fuel leaking from the spark plug holes. Not like a massive amount but there are areas with a little build up but I will state again the plugs are tightened to what the manual states.
    Things that have been done since I've owned it:
    • TPS installed from recall years ago that was never done
    • new NGK plugs installed
    Also, I see in the manual twice about cleaing some intake screen for the cooling system. I have yet to find it.

Another question since operating in salt water I tend to get little white spots on the exhaust and other metal parts inside. Is it okay to spray down with a hose and let drain or is there a better way to deal with this.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps out, just trying to not get stuck out on the waterby myself for a couple hours...its happened before on a friends jet ski and its not fun.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The 140 guys will chime in soon, Are in the LA Area? If so you should hook up with the SoCal Gang,They do alot of riding near there.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by laxidiot87 View Post
    Own a 2003 MSX 140HO
    it has around 140 hours and is operated in salt water. Idles at 1100 rpms Max rpm about 6500
    Peak RPM seems a tad low.
    Is your compression a little below spec?

Hmmm - At first I was thinking this would be your TPS getting sketchy, but now I am not so sure it isn't something else. Have you tried a new TPS?
      Check or tighten all the metal connections inside the connectors for the TPS, and each injector.
    • Spark Plug came loose while out on the water!!! ...when it was installed it was properly torqued...
      What torque spec did you use?
      Are you using the correct NGK PZFR6H spark plugs?
      No issues with the threads in the cylinder head?
    • The ski takes a long time to cool off. I typically leave it on a lift uncovered. I can come back the next day take the seat off and it is still noticeably warm inside.
      Mine does this too. Are you concerned about it staying warm?
    Things I'm noticing:
      Mold spots or oily/greasy?
    • Fuel leaking from the spark plug holes.
      Could this be leakage from the injectors dripping into the spark plug area?
      Not like a massive amount but there are areas with a little build up but I will state again the plugs are tightened to what the manual states.
      The 2003 MSX had a number of Polaris Service Bulletins, some of which were rather important.
      Have they all been applied to your machine?
    Also, I see in the manual twice about cleaning some intake screen for the cooling system. I have yet to find it.
    That might be the cooling water inlet screen, which is located inside the jet pump exit nozzle (not the steering nozzle). It is flat plastic mesh square (postage stamp size), recessed into the side of the pump nozzle, right where the cooling water tube connects on the outside to route the water forward.

Another question since operating in salt water I tend to get little white spots on the exhaust and other metal parts inside. Is it okay to spray down with a hose and let drain or is there a better way to deal with this.
    Rinse with Salt Away, engine reverse flush and sprayed on the exposed metal parts, like the jet pump.
    Then apply a metal protectant like Fluid Film or Boeshield T-9, and/or silicone spray on the painted engine areas.

Own a 2003 MSX 140HO
    it has around 140 hours and is operated in salt water. Idles at 1100 rpms Max rpm about 6500
    Peak RPM seems a tad low.
    Is your compression a little below spec?
    Will check tomorrow evening

Hmmm - At first I was thinking this would be your TPS getting sketchy, but now I am not so sure it isn't something else. Have you tried a new TPS?
      Check or tighten all the metal connections inside the connectors for the TPS, and each injector.
      New TPS was installed this past winter but since then I haven't tried a new one, I will check all the connectors tomorrow
    • Spark Plug came loose while out on the water!!! ...when it was installed it was properly torqued...
      What torque spec did you use?
      Are you using the correct NGK PZFR6H spark plugs?
      No issues with the threads in the cylinder head?
      Used NGKs listed above torqued to 18 ft/lbs with zero issues with the threads
    • The ski takes a long time to cool off. I typically leave it on a lift uncovered. I can come back the next day take the seat off and it is still noticeably warm inside.
      Mine does this too. Are you concerned about it staying warm?
      Not a problem, just wanted to know if it was normal
    Things I'm noticing:
      Mold spots or oily/greasy?
      oily/greasy
    • Fuel leaking from the spark plug holes. Not like a massive amount but there are areas with a little build up but I will state again the plugs are tightened to what the manual states.
      Could this be leakage from the injectors dripping into the spark plug area?
      Never thought of that will look into tomorrow
      The 2003 MSX had a number of Polaris Service Bulletins, some of which were rather important.
      Have they all been applied to your machine?
      Called Polaris before winterizing. Numerous bulletins had not been done,TPS Replacement, Drive Shaft Alignment/Adjustment, water outlet house routing inspection, 140 product update campaign(Service Kit A), Temp Sensor Wire Harness Damage/Exhaust Bumper Kit Installation, Starter Solenoid replacement

As far as I know the TPS was the only thing done, the dealership said that if it isn't broke don't fix it. So TPS was the only thing done.
    Also, I see in the manual twice about cleaning some intake screen for the cooling system. I have yet to find it.
    That might be the cooling water inlet screen, which is located inside the jet pump exit nozzle (not the steering nozzle). It is flat plastic mesh square (postage stamp size), recessed into the side of the pump nozzle, right where the cooling water tube connects on the outside to route the water forward.
    didn't realize it was inside the pump nozzle, from the picture they gave it appeared to be outside, i'll add that to the list of things to check up on tomorrow.

Rinse with Salt Away, engine reverse flush and sprayed on the exposed metal parts, like the jet pump.
    Then apply a metal protectant like Fluid Film or Boeshield T-9, and/or silicone spray on the painted engine areas.
    I already flush it with Salt Away every Sunday at the end of the weekend, will spray and use metal protectant like suggested as well.

I'll post again tomorrow eveing with what i've found. I'll also throw up some pictures of the drips on the bottom of the hull and around the cylinders.
    Last edited by laxidiot87; 07-14-2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: delete a line

+1
    I don't have a 2003 MSX 140, but my understanding was that a number of the Service Bulletins were of the 'if we don't fix it, it WILL fail' type.

Polaris and the early MSX 140 customers went through quite a learning curve with the MSX in 2003. No reason for you to experience the same pain when the solutions are now known.

Check with ph2ocraft regarding which MSX 2003 bulletins could be ignored, and which were imperative.

Those black spots, could be grease from the drive shaft coupler or the through-hull bearing.

You can take the metal cover off, and see whether the through-hull bearing or drive shaft coupler is flinging material. Loosen the two side bolts, then remove the top bolt, and wiggle the metal shield up and off.

Note that some MSX through-hull bearings had the rear seals installed backwards, leading to premature failure of the bearing, especially in salt water operation. There is info posted elsewhere on here regarding how to rebuild the assembly with the seals facing the correct way (another Polaris service notice).

While you are checking things, make sure the filter screen for the exhaust water spray is clean.

What octane fuel are you running?
    Should be 89 octane or better, especially if your fuel has Ethanol or other oxidizers mixed in.
    I run premium fuel in my Ficht machines, not just for the octane level, but in my area the premium fuel has no Ethanol, which I prefer not to have in a Marine engine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5209996.JPG 
Views:	424 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	83085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5209994.JPG 
Views:	312 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	83086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5200040.JPG 
Views:	362 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	83088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5200037.JPG 
Views:	444 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	83089  

+1
    Awesome replies K!! A couple of items I'd like to add.

1. Your dealer WILL perform the updates free of charge, even though Polaris has washed their hands of the PWC division..
    2. The injector leak is a simple O ring replacement. Don't look for a seal between the injector(s) and head. The pressure to keep the tapered injecter sealed to the head comes from an O ring located between the injector bracket and the injector. Be sure to torque the bracket to correct specs.

Number 18 in the photo

have yet to test compression or even open the ski I got hung up on some stuff today but I really don't think its the injectors leaking because it would be higher. i'll try to snap a photo of it so you can see what i'm talking about.

Also I typically rinse the exterior and hull, jet pump etc with salt away and then flush with salt away and rinse with water. is that good?

okay this is what i did this evening
    • checked compression
    • adjusted TPS as close as I could get to 100%
    • checked oil pump setting
    • cooling inlet screen cleaned
    • checked drive shaft coupler
    • checked exhaust filter
    • sprayed some fogging spray into air intake
    These were my results:

-Compression check (last thing I did)front cylinder was checked first which read 110 middle cylinder was checked second which read 110 rear cylinder was checked last which read 90. I then proceeded to clean, regap and retorque the spark plugs. I also cleaned up whatever was leaking from the holes. Definately was coming from the plug holes. they were torques about 4 lbs tighter this time.

-Oil Pump was set correctly

-Cooling inlet screen was clean

-Drive shaft coupler was most likely what was causing the grease to get on the bottom of the hull

-exhaust filter was cleanedhad a couple pieces of sand nothing major

I had not planned on taking anything major off this evening so thats as far as I went. After doing all this I took it out for a quick ride to make sure everything still ran the same. max rpm was 6600 when turning slightly right it was 6800 when turning slightly left it was 6400 which was really weird.

As to what fuel I use, I use 87, I plan to call my local oil company to see what is mixed in with the fuel we get around here. I also use 2 stroke yamalube which was recommended by a nearby marina because the polaris dealer is about an hour away. Once i'm out of yamalube (2 gallons left + whats in tank) I plan on switching back to polaris.

I live no where near LA I'm on the other coast on the potomac river just off the Chesapeake Bay.

Thanks for your help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by laxidiot87 View Post
    ...-Compression check (last thing I did)
    front cylinder was checked first which read 110
    middle cylinder was checked second which read 110
    rear cylinder was checked last which read 90.
    These numbers seem low.
    Did you hold the throttle open while cranking?
    (Not that it will make a big difference on a Ficht engine, since there are holes in the throttle plates)

I then proceeded to clean, regap and retorque the spark plugs. I also cleaned up whatever was leaking from the holes. Definitely was coming from the plug holes. they were torques about 4 lbs tighter this time.

...Max rpm was 6600 when turning slightly right it was 6800 when turning slightly left it was 6400 which was really weird.
    This was on flat water, with one person riding?
    I think peak sustained RPM straight ahead on flat water should be higher, around 6900RPM, give or take.

As to what fuel I use, I use 87,
    I plan to call my local oil company to see what is mixed in with the fuel we get around here.
    Even if they say there is no Ethanol or other 'oxygenates' in the local 87 octane fuel, I suggest you move up to at least 89 octane.

I also use 2 stroke Yamalube which was recommended by a nearby marina because the Polaris dealer is about an hour away. Once I'm out of Yamalube (2 gallons left + whats in tank) I plan on switching back to Polaris.
    Is that Yamalube TC-W3 rated?
    If you are still getting leakage at the tightened spark plugs, have a look at the seats in the heads that the plugs seal against. Perhaps you have some corrosion in there.

If local sourcing is a challenge, have a look at the Amsoil 2-stroke oils. They deliver, which can be handy, and the pricing can be fairly good. There are some Amsoil guys sprinkled around the Green Hulk forums, and lots of info and comments on the Amsoil products.

I recently ordered a case of the Amsoil synthetic HP-Injector (I think that was it ), delivered to my door.

...-Compression check (last thing I did)
    front cylinder was checked first which read 110
    middle cylinder was checked second which read 110
    rear cylinder was checked last which read 90.
    These numbers seem low.
    Did you hold the throttle open while cranking?
    (Not that it will make a big difference on a Ficht engine, since there are holes in the throttle plates)
    Sure did the throttle was wire tied open

I then proceeded to clean, regap and retorque the spark plugs. I also cleaned up whatever was leaking from the holes. Definitely was coming from the plug holes. they were torques about 4 lbs tighter this time.

...Max rpm was 6600 when turning slightly right it was 6800 when turning slightly left it was 6400 which was really weird.
    This was on flat water, with one person riding?
    I think peak sustained RPM straight ahead on flat water should be higher, around 6900RPM, give or take.
    I agree with you, manual says peak rpm (or capped at) is 7200 and it was with one person riding on glass

As to what fuel I use, I use 87,
    I plan to call my local oil company to see what is mixed in with the fuel we get around here.
    Even if they say there is no Ethanol or other 'oxygenates' in the local 87 octane fuel, I suggest you move up to at least 89 octane.
    Okay I'll give it a shot once I use up the 87, don't wanna waste it

I also use 2 stroke Yamalube which was recommended by a nearby marina because the Polaris dealer is about an hour away. Once I'm out of Yamalube (2 gallons left + whats in tank) I plan on switching back to Polaris.
    Is that Yamalube TC-W3 rated?
    I'm not sure because it was pumped out of a barrel i'll have to call the marina but they're currently closed but I never thought about amsoil I'll check out there website assuming they have one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information