Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Another 4-Tec Catastrophic Failure

Not my ski, but my sisters. She purchased a 2005 GTX Wake about two weeks ago from a dealer with no warranty. They have had the ski in the water two times over the two weeks and this past weekend the red triangle lit up (bottom right corner of the MFD - my manual still does not say what makes this light up). My nephew was driving the ski and continued to ride with the red triangle lit for some time until there was a noise and the engine stopped. Restart was not possible. Upon inspection when back at the dock, there was a lot of oil in the hull and metal fragments. NO codes in the ECU. Obviously, a thrown rod.

They did check the oil the same day and it was fine before the outing in question. So here is my question, what the hell was this failure mode? I originally believed the NA 155 4-Tec's were bulletproof; however, as I continue to listen to more stories like this - I think more and more that I am wrong.

Is the most likely case in this scenario that the warning light was low oil pressure and that over time the engine lost lubrication and eventually failed? A rod bolt backed out? Why no warning buzzers? WTF happened this time?

My nephew was driving the ski and continued to ride with the red triangle lit for some time until there was a noise and the engine stopped.
    Sorry to hear about your sisters bad...luck.

That would be the last toy of mine that that young'n would have free reign on.

+1
    Yea, I thought the same thing. But to be honest, I have let people drive before and probably don't give them enough of a description on what to do when something goes wrong (I always preached about safety mostly). I always assumed that there would be more "sirens and whistles" when something does go this bad wrong. I will sure do an orientation from now on. It really does stink though ........... there has to be a plausible explanation for these. The ski had very few hours on it.

location?? wanna sell it? thanks

I have a NA 02 GTX 4 tec too and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm riding a ticking time bomb. I usually cruise 20-30 mi from the ramp when I ride. What a pain in the butt it would be if it threw a rod etc. 30 mi out on the waterway with my 5 yr old son. I would love to know what caused this to happen and what if anything can be done to prevent a failure like this.

+1
    It is very rare for a 155hp 4-tec to blow up.
    I have never seen one personally.
    There are some of these motors with over 6000 hours on them.

I lost my supercharger on my 07 RXT this past weekend. Not good at all. Considered the dealer but after reading might send it to the hulk.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    wow...thats s-cks....sounds like it lost oil pressure maybe........gave a warning but motor finally grenaded?....with as much abuse as these skis take....it would be nice if we had more than idiot light to tell us something is amiss.......would love to install not only boost guage but oil pressure gauge on my SHO...that way we know if were losing oil pressure rather than thinking some 5 dollar idiot light is malfunctioning because of salt ingestion..............hmmmmmmmmm

good luck man.....hope ur up and running again soon

Quote Originally Posted by BOATADDICT View Post
    It is very rare for a 155hp 4-tec to blow up.
    I have never seen one personally.
    There are some of these motors with over 6000 hours on them.
    HOLLY HELL!!! That is alot of hours. Surely there was some reuilds in there somewhere????

+1
    Lesson number 1:
    Don't buy a PWC without a warranty.

Lesson number 2:
    Don't let untrained peeps ride your machine.

I've got to where I don't like to let anyone outside my immediate family ride mine anymore---especially newbies---call me selfish but there it is. My kids are very careful on them and one time when I had a low oil warning my daughter heard the beep and instantly reported it to me.

I feel your pain on the lack of audible alarms, that seems strange, but maybe your nephew ignored the beeps who knows...
    When ours got low on oil pressure it actually beeped then immediately went into a protective limp mode, maybe a sensor failed on yours?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information