Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sl 650 NO spark!

Ok, i need some help. i just put some new reeds in my 650 sl and started it up and it seemed to run fine. I rinsed out the ski and cleaned it up a lil(it had some grease on it) and took it to the lake to see how it would run. It would not start. however it would crank over. i pulled a plug out and it would not spark. and i tried different plugs. so i am guessing that water got in something electrical when i rinsed it out. what should i check?
    Thanks
    Parker

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Creighton View Post
    what should i check?
    Thanks
    Parker
    Hey Parker. I'd check the battery volts while cranking. Need at least 10.5 - 10.6 while cranking or it will not spark. Its not likley you got water in something you shouldn't have the way things are sealed, unless you had the elect. box opened while hosing her down.

Well, i dont think it is the voltage because we put jumper cables on it to get it started, and it would not spark. I did do an engine swap last year so i have to splice all those wires that come off the engine. But i had that sealled up real well and it worked great all last year. what area of the electronics should i check?

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    what area of the electronics should i check?
    Ohm out the stator would be next, then ign coils, spark plug wires and boots.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, I don't think it is the voltage because we put jumper cables on it to get it started, and it would not spark. I did do an engine swap last year so i have to splice all those wires that come off the engine.
    But i had that sealed up real well and it worked great all last year. what area of the electronics should i check?
    Jumper cable to what?
    A running car or truck?

We have seen a number of cases where jumping the PWC battery resulted in a non-functioning CDI. You really need a healthy, charged battery in the PWC, then confirm the voltage is there while cranking (10.6 volts minimum, 11 +volts is better).

If you can, buy and install an AGM type battery.

well it was a truck with a 12v battery. What is ohm

Ohm is a unit of measurement of resistance. On a multimeter, the setting is designated by the W symbol. You have to measure between different wires to ensure that they have the proper resistance. If the resistance is too low while measuring, this can mean that the wires are shorted together. If the resistance is too high, this can mean that a wire is broken.

ok got ya, i thought you were using a text abreviation. But i dont think it was the truck that did anything because we have done that before multiple times. it worked perfectly until i sprayed it out. What could have happened. any wierd grounds or something? it still cranks over and everything so even if it was the stator shouldn't it still spark? the battery is charged.
    Last edited by Parker Creighton; 07-15-2008 at 12:38 PM.

A bad stator or CDI will cause a no spark

so even if the battery is charged and the stator is bad it wont spark? Could that have happened by rinsing it out?? I am boing to buy a volt meter, i just check the area coming out of the stator?
    Last edited by Parker Creighton; 07-15-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information