96 xp hard start in water.

i have a 96 xp ported and polished with high compression. i just had the carbs cleaned it runs like a raped date. 60mphs +. its starts out of water first push of button. but in the water it has a very hard start. actually have to feather the throttle almost full.. to get it to sputter then she starts. it does it every time even if i ran it for couple hours..... but as soon as it get it out of the water it starts right up. very wierd. any takers??? pleas help

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 99wrangler View Post
    i have a 96 xp ported and polished with high compression. i just had the carbs cleaned it runs like a raped date. 60mphs +. its starts out of water first push of button. but in the water it has a very hard start. actually have to feather the throttle almost full.. to get it to sputter then she starts. it does it every time even if i ran it for couple hours..... but as soon as it get it out of the water it starts right up. very wierd. any takers??? pleas help
    with a higher compression motor you may need a bigger battery(bigger cranking amps i believe) , if you're running the standard battery in the ski you may just be wearing that battery out

its a brand new gell battery. the previous owner put it in about 2 months ago.... it started all the time when it was first used... mabey ur right i may just be burning the battery out. it seems under a load it is just a hard start. i believe it is the stock size battery too. thanks

+1
    its a brand new gell battery. the previous owner put it in about 2 months ago.... it started all the time when it was first used... mabey ur right i may just be burning the battery out. it seems under a load it is just a hard start. i believe it is the stock size battery too. thanks

find somewhere to get it load tested...i had a similar problem with aone of those agm batteries...lasted all but 2 months

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Probably burning the starter up. They don't last long with high compression setups.

Thread Information