Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'95 Wave Venture

What is a '95 Wave Venture worth without a trailer that has been sitting outside for at least three years?

I have not been able to check the engine out, but the owner says it is not stuck and ran before it was put there.

I have pictures and am wondering if it is worth getting running or not?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2605.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	83109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2601.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	83110   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2602.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	83111  

Looks like it's in pretty rough shape on the outside, I would imagine the inside will match. The owners says it ran 3 years ago before it sat non-winterized outside in a field in North Dakota (I assume?). If he can prove that it is in running condition, that's one thing, but if not I don't think I would give more than a few hundred for it.

Side topic: I know of a couple of parts on it that I could use, and I'm sure there are parts that you could ebay if you can get a good deal on it. Just depends on if you want to try and fix it or part it out.
    Last edited by kingstretch; 07-15-2008 at 08:09 AM.

The owner does want to sell it. He first told me he wanted $2000 to $3000 for it and I just walked away not saying anything, left him in mid sentence. Do I even go back to talk to him, or just move on?

Well the Nada value for a good condition one wothout a trailer is less than 2,000. Here's the values. http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...1&gc=MR&gtc=MR

Quote Originally Posted by repoman View Post
    The owner does want to sell it. He first told me he wanted $2000 to $3000 for it and I just walked away not saying anything, left him in mid sentence. Do I even go back to talk to him, or just move on?
    I just paid $1,700.00 for a '96 Venture with a single trailer and tons of extras in outstanding exterior condition. It runs pretty well, carbs need to be rebuilt but nothing else seems to be wrong with it mechanically. I've put about 5 hours on it with no issues. I think I got a pretty decent deal on it though.

Like I said judging by the condition of the exterior of this one, if the interior is similar and he can't prove it at least runs, I wouldn't give more than a few hundred for it since there is no telling what the problem is. At a minimum the battery is probably dead and the fuel is old so in order for him to even get it started he'll probably need to do some work. Worst case scenario you'll need to put a new motor in it which I think I've heard runs about $1,000.00 - so keep that in mind if it doesn't start.

That's all just my opinion though - I'm pretty new to this stuff.

I have worked on ski's, Polaris mainly and I fully agree with all of the feed back that has been posted. I can talk to him and try to convince him to sell it but he has the title in hand and I don't think he will budge. He runs a junkyard/repair/body shop for cars and pick-ups. I think the ski was payment a few years back and I think he still thinks it is worth what it was back then, when it was in running condition.

How do you talk to someone like that? I am only interested in it because I figure it would be cheap to buy and fix-up and get some Yamaha experience under my belt.

He runs a business, it's just got to make financial sense for him to get rid of it. The bottom line is that if it doesn't run, he's got two choices... he can either sell it to someone at a good enough price where they have room to invest some money to get it working, or he can spend the time and money to get it working himself (I guess technically three, he could also just let it sit there and rot). You can be sure that the longer it stays in that field, the worse condition it is going to be in, and the less anyone is going to be willing to offer him.

If you want to test the waters a little bit, and the guy doesn't mind letting you get a good look at the ski, you can probably get away with buying a new battery (I'm assuming after 3 years of sitting still it's dead) and a compression tester. The compression tester should at least give you a reasonable idea of the condition of the engine. I think I read somewhere compression on a stock 1100 in this ski should be around 125 psi. If it's not 125, it's not a huge deal, you just don't want there to be more than 5-10% difference in PSI between the cylinders.
    Last edited by kingstretch; 07-15-2008 at 02:54 PM.

Is this supposed to have a 700 or 1100 in it for a motor?

+1
    I think '95 was 701 only. My '98 Venture was in that kind of shape and was also blown up. I gave $50 for mine. Around here that one would be worth about $100-200.

Sorry I think that's correct for the '95... my '96 has the 1100.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information