barnegat bay

08 GTI 130 Review

Hey guys, well I just got back from an 8 day vacation in Wildwood, NJ. Of course I rented skis down there since the ocean was a cold 59 degrees. I rented 08 red GTI 130s. I must say I was very impressed. It handled extremely well, very responsive to the throttle, and skimmed accross the waves. Although, I must say I expected just a bit more speed out of the machine, but maybe it didn't run to its potential because of lack of rental care? Anyway, just wanted to say I was overall impressed with this ski.

The GTI is a sweet little package for the recreational rider/family. The GTI SE adds the 155HP engine and the very basic extras like mirrors, tow hook, etc for like $1000 more, I think? Overall a great buy.

South Eastern Michigan
    About the only thing that you can review is the hull/ergonomics/handling. The rental ski's have a restrictor plate between the throttle body and the intake manifold. It's takes the ~2.5" pathway down to ~1 1/4". The ski will feel alright down low, but top speed and power is limited.

Others on the board say that the hull is very nice as well. I'm gonna have to find someone that'll let me take a ride so I can see for myself.

I'm considering a 155hp GTi as another ski (for friends to ride, the Honda's are on lifts at the lake house. I tow the P-X all over the place.). Even a 130HP would prob. be fine... as long as there's no restrictor plate.

-=Mike G.

That's right! I forgot that the GTI "Rental Edition" skis (if that's what the rental place had) have the restrictor plate and are reduced to 100HP. I remember the dealer showing us that when we purchased our GTI last year. The girlfriend wanted to be sure it would be faster than the ones we had just rented.

barnegat bay
    Idk, but it was exact color scheme of the 08 GTI (red). I would have to guess I was going around 50-52 mph. To be honest, I'm not sure if it was limited, it's possible, but is rental GTIs a diff. color?

Thread Information