Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned User

Rebuilding Carbs help Asap please, TY.

Hey guys how is it going. Im currently in the process of rebuilding/modding my ski. I already did all the exterior work but now im startning to dig into my engine. I got the carbs off last night and they are sitting on my work bench. The accelerator pump is stuck and the swing arm wont go back with the throttle arm. I am mechanically inclined and have rebuilt many dirtbike and tractor carbs before but never dug into a marine motor. Im not too sure if i should try to do this myself or just bring them to a professional. My only problem with bringing it to someone is that i dont want to have to wait a week to use the ski. Its already pretty late in july and i have barely rode it. Today is my day off and i also wanted to decide what i am going to do because now would be the day i would get some carb rebuild kits. Though, i dont want to pick them up if i am just going to be giving my carbs to someone to do. Anyone have a ballpark estimate on what it might cost to have my carbs rebuilt and any reccomendations on who i should give them too. I live in long island, NY.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Coveted; 07-15-2008 at 08:39 AM.

+1
    Our Forum ember OsideBill has been doing a few carbs lately. PM/Contact him and see if he is up to it.

+1
    Just out of curiosity what is your ballpark estimate?

Banned User
    its not necessarily about the money for me, its about how long it will take to get my carbs rebuilt. I see that your in california and im sure you would do a better job than any mechanic around here, but i honestly dont want to wait 2-3 weeks. I know its not good to rush an important job or get any minimum wage mechanic to do it, but im getting so sick of watching my jetski sit in the backyard. I have the motivation and know-how to possibly do it myself but i would rather let a professional handle them.

+1
    Osidebill is a professional. And USPS ships 2-3 days

Banned User
    so basically your saying that i should just have someone do it lol. i'll give oside a pm.

+1
    several of us on the forum can do it. I recommend Osidebill

here are some how to guides

http://www.cajundude.com/techpagehome.htm

yup, rebuild them, clean them thoroughly and replace any gaskets in doubt.

If they have never been replaced, now is a good time.

Here are some good links on dissasembling them. Thanks to Fercho & Cajundude

Carb Rebuild Assembly
    http://www.hydrotoys.com/gpr/tuners/...orAssembly.pdf

Removal
    http://www.cajundude.com/carbremoval.htm

Rejetting
    http://www.cajundude.com/carbrejet.htm

Carb Website
    www.mikuni.com

Also check out RIVA, Parker Yamaha, Island Racing, GroupK, Jims PWC Performance, Atlantic Jetsports and Ebay for carb parts. I'm sure there are others

+1
    I turn them around in 2-3 days avg, but there is the 3 day each way shipping too. I am doing one to two sets a week lately. There are several how to's as well as many threads discussing these, why not rebuild them yourelf?

Banned User
    I would rather try them myself. I am pretty confident that i can take them apart clean all the gunk out and put them back together. Though, i think i might have a problem getting them tuned. I also would like to stay away from putting T-handles on or rejetting them because i dont want to take a drill to the carbs as shown in cajuns DIY guide. Any tips or a list of parts i need would be great. Right now i would assume, the necessary tools for dissasembly, carb cleaner, and three Mikuni Carb rebuild kits. I have also heard about dipping them in a solution? not too sure what this is called. The other problem i have is that the 4 screws on the side of the carb that hold the cover in place are really solid and hard to get out. The screw driver is really easy to slip and im afraid of stripping them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated thank you for your help.

+1
    you need to drill the tamper caps off. Its easy

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information