Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hydrolocked engine

I'm mostly looking for some reasoning and input as to what happened. A friend of mine bought a used 06 RXP from a dealer. He took it out about 3 times. The last time he was cruising to an island to meet up with people and it started to hesitate/buck a little bit so he slowed down and a couple minutes later it was fine. When he got to the island it just died and wouldn't start back up. So they brought it in and took the seat off and the hull was FILLED with water. Probably about half way. The only thing they noticed was that a hose was not connected towards the back of the engine on the bottom. A large rubber/plastic hose which I assumed was an S/C hose. They took it about 100 yards to a ramp and out of the water and to my house where I took out the plugs and all of the cylinders had water in them and the oil was white. The engine would not turn over without the plugs.

My main question is how could the water have gotten in the hull and without that hose on would it have sucked up water into the engine? The dealer for whatever reason can't come up with a reason the engine hydrolocked and won't start and won't fix it. If he can prove that the hose coming off was the problem and not user error they will fix it under warranty or pay for it themselves.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach07RXP View Post
    I'm mostly looking for some reasoning and input as to what happened. A friend of mine bought a used 06 RXP from a dealer. He took it out about 3 times. The last time he was cruising to an island to meet up with people and it started to hesitate/buck a little bit so he slowed down and a couple minutes later it was fine. When he got to the island it just died and wouldn't start back up. So they brought it in and took the seat off and the hull was FILLED with water. Probably about half way. The only thing they noticed was that a hose was not connected towards the back of the engine on the bottom. A large rubber/plastic hose which I assumed was an S/C hose. They took it about 100 yards to a ramp and out of the water and to my house where I took out the plugs and all of the cylinders had water in them and the oil was white. The engine would not turn over without the plugs.

My main question is how could the water have gotten in the hull and without that hose on would it have sucked up water into the engine? The dealer for whatever reason can't come up with a reason the engine hydrolocked and won't start and won't fix it. If he can prove that the hose coming off was the problem and not user error they will fix it under warranty or pay for it themselves.
    Sounds like your carbon seal failed..

If that did fail and let the water into the hull would the disconnected S/C hose be the reason the water got in the engine?

Website may not be suitable for small children WOT's Avatar
    Pictures would help. If the SC inlet hose came off, then yes that's how the water got in the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by WOT View Post
    Pictures would help. If the SC inlet hose came off, then yes that's how the water got in the engine.
    I can't get pictures of the actual ski because it is at the dealer. I can get a picture of the hose that came off just it will be of my ski.

Here is a picture. The end with the arrow is what was disconnected.

Last edited by Zach07RXP; 07-15-2008 at 11:22 AM.

+1
    Yes, that's the supercharger inlet hose. You have two problems. One is all the water. Where is it coming from? If the hull was completely sealed and water lines tight then you should have no water in the hull. The supercharger hose shouldn't have came off for any reason unless it wasn't properly clamped down. I assume it's been tampered with because they come with oetiker clamps from the factory and I've never heard of one of those coming off of the supercharger out of the blue.

Now, since the hull was filled and the air intake hose was off you were directly sucking water into your engine. The sputtering was the first sign that the engine needed to be shut off and the ski needed to be towed. The ski wouldn't start because you can't compress water nor can a spark jump accross it.

The only shot you have at claiming warranty is figuring out why the hull filled with water. Your engine will ingest water with a full hull whether you do or do not have a secure air intake hose. The hose coming off only sped up the process to 100 times faster.

Find out if the giant leak is a faulty carbon seal or anything having to do with the driveline. Then take your arguement to the warranty department.

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    Yes, that's the supercharger inlet hose. You have two problems. One is all the water. Where is it coming from? If the hull was completely sealed and water lines tight then you should have no water in the hull. The supercharger hose shouldn't have came off for any reason unless it wasn't properly clamped down. I assume it's been tampered with because they come with oetiker clamps from the factory and I've never heard of one of those coming off of the supercharger out of the blue.

Now, since the hull was filled and the air intake hose was off you were directly sucking water into your engine. The sputtering was the first sign that the engine needed to be shut off and the ski needed to be towed. The ski wouldn't start because you can't compress water nor can a spark jump accross it.

The only shot you have at claiming warranty is figuring out why the hull filled with water. Your engine will ingest water with a full hull whether you do or do not have a secure air intake hose. The hose coming off only sped up the process to 100 times faster.

Find out if the giant leak is a faulty carbon seal or anything having to do with the driveline. Then take your arguement to the warranty department.
    This clamp has your classic gear or ratchet clamp whatever you want to call it and mine has the same one. It does not have the oetiker clamp. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Zach07RXP; 07-15-2008 at 11:53 AM.

+1
    This clamp has your classic gear or ratchet clamp whatever you want to call it. It does not have the oetiker clamp. Thanks for the info.
    Then someone has worked on the SC in the past - probably that dealer. I would find out why the SC hose had an aftermarket clamp and whether they told your buddy about the ski's history. If they misrepresented the condition of the ski, they may be willing to fix it for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    Then someone has worked on the SC in the past - probably that dealer. I would find out why the SC hose had an aftermarket clamp and whether they told your buddy about the ski's history. If they misrepresented the condition of the ski, they may be willing to fix it for him.
    Are you guys sure it is not a regular gear type clamp? Mine has never had any work done it it besides oil changes and has only been to a dealer for gauges and I have the gear type clamp.

+1
    Are you guys sure it is not a regular gear type clamp? Mine has never had any work done it it besides oil changes and has only been to a dealer for gauges and I have the gear type clamp.
    Come to think of it, you are right. That is one of the few non-oeticker clamps on a stock ski. It's been so long since I have seen a stock ski that I forgot which clamps were oeticker vs worm gear.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information