99 SLH 750 isn't charging. do these have generators or magnetos or what? help plz!!!

I purchased this from a friend of mine. Actually i traded an old Jeep for it. Anyway, i put a brand new gel filled batter in it.

it runs for a few days but eventually drains the battery down to where it wont' start. Charge the batter for a few hours on the bench and you're good to go for a few days.

You can progressively watch the voltage drop untill you get the LOPr (low power) message.

So it looks like it's not charging. What do these run off of? a generator or magneto or something? i'm fairly new to this type of engine.

the local marina had no clue and said he can't get parts for it.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Put a multi-meter on the battery posts, and start the engine.

If the charging system is working, the voltage should jump up to around 14.x volts, and stay in that range as RPM rises.

If the voltage doesn't rise about 12.x volts, it is likely you need a new LR voltage regulator (which both rectifies the AC to DC, and regulates the DC charging current. Start be checking and cleaning the ground and wire connections to the LR regulator.

You can download the service manual from here.

The manual outlines the charging system diagnostics you can do. I would suggest checking the Yellow to Red/Purple coil resistance, just in case the stator coil (located inside the flywheel) has gone bad.

Parts ARE available, new and used. Have a look in the Classified section, and the usual parts sources are frequently mentioned on many threads throughout the Polaris forums.

ya i'm reading lower and lower every time i start it and am not getting a jump in voltage.

I'll DL that service manual as soon as i get home! thanks! off hand, do you know if i have to pull the motor to change that out? my marina thought they would have to.

also, if the LR voltage regulator is bad, that will cause it to not charge AT ALL? or is that what actually charges the battery? i'm new to 2 stroke marine engines.
    Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 07-15-2008 at 12:25 PM.

http://partsland.com/index.cgi?N=121...ELECTRICAL-BOX

REGULATOR-RECT/CUTOFF-LR31-2

part in the number 15 slot on there. is that right?

is there anything else that could keep it from charging? should i check voltage off of something to see if it's charging before the regulator? I just don't want to spend 103 bucks on a wild goose chase to have it be something internal ya know.

thanks for all the help and advice! you've got me on track!
    Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 07-15-2008 at 12:54 PM.

+1
    There is no such thing as a 1999 SLH 750.

Be sure you are looking at the correct year and model before you order parts. The year will be the last two digits on the metal HIN number plate on the rear deck.

There are really only two components in the charging system. Assuming all the grounds are clean and good, the LR regulator and the charging coil in the electrical stator are the only two pieces that need to be working in order to charge the battery.

The Service Manual tells you how to check the stator coil, and if that is good, then the regulator must be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    There is no such thing as a 1999 SLH 750.

Be sure you are looking at the correct year and model before you order parts. The year will be the last two digits on the metal HIN number plate on the rear deck.

There are really only two components in the charging system. Assuming all the grounds are clean and good, the LR regulator and the charging coil in the electrical stator are the only two pieces that need to be working in order to charge the battery.

The Service Manual tells you how to check the stator coil, and if that is good, then the regulator must be bad.
    That was my fault. typo. it's an SLTH. (had mom go look lol, it's up at my lake cottage)

i found the part number and part for the regulator. I didn't see teh correct model/year in that link for the service manual. will the procedure differ per model?

i'm new, thanks for being patient!
    Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 07-15-2008 at 01:42 PM.

ok, got the procedures for a 98. should be pretty much the same. lets hope it's the regulator not the stator (parts list calls it a magneto)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
    That was my fault. typo. it's an SLTH. (had mom go look lol, it's up at my lake cottage)

i found the part number and part for the regulator.
    I didn't see the correct model/year in that link for the service manual. will the procedure differ per model?

i'm new, thanks for being patient!
    There is also no such thing as an 1999 SLTH 750.

Engine size, model, and year are important, as different models and years have different LR regulators in them.

The diagnostics are similar, but the replacement LR part number must be correct. Look it up here.

Thread Information