Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Can the SHO potentially have supercharger issues like Seadoo's?

I'm looking to buy a supercharger PWC and like the Seadoo but worry about the supercharger issues they've been having since 2004. Did yamaha learn form Seadoo's mistakes or are problems more with supercharger technology and not the brand using them? I just started to learn more about the SHO and like what I see. I have a Skeeter bassboat and love the 225 HPDI motor on it, yamaha has always had a very good product.

+1
    The yamaha's use a sprag type clutch system. different than the SeaDoo

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=sprag+clutch

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Sprag clutches do explode. For those that do/have worked on auto trannies. You know and have seen it firsthand. Plus it was in an application that was spinning it slower than the Yami SC. But who knows.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    time wil tell....but ive been doing a ton of offshore riding with my SHO....and no problems yet.......

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterzx225 View Post
    I'm looking to buy a supercharger PWC and like the Seadoo but worry about the supercharger issues they've been having since 2004. Did yamaha learn form Seadoo's mistakes or are problems more with supercharger technology and not the brand using them? I just started to learn more about the SHO and like what I see. I have a Skeeter bassboat and love the 225 HPDI motor on it, yamaha has always had a very good product.
    Venturing out of my "comfort zone" over on the Yami side!

I guess it could potentially have issues, but having said that anything can develop problems really. There certainly haven't been any low hr. problems with it, maybe a few will pop up in the 100+ hr. range, who knows? Sorry to be a bit vague but at this point it is still a brand new product. Unlike Seadoo and Kawasaki, nobody has had to chance to run the hell out of one for 200-300 hours and see the problems it develops. I'm sure it is a class-act, I don't view Yamaha as a company who cuts corners judging by their past history.

+1
    If anybody will put alot "hours" on an SHO, I'm sure Rip-n-Tear will !!

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    If anybody will put alot "hours" on an SHO, I'm sure Rip-n-Tear will !!
    +1 to that haha,
    on the subject of failing sc's, havent sea-doo's failed with less then 20 hrs on them? so i think it would be safe to say as of right now there doesnt seem to be any failing sc's

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    dont know if i deserve the "sick bastard" award for too many hours on their ski.....but thx for the vote of confidence .....im at 63 hours right now.....about 30 of those r offshore....if theres any underlying problems......riding offshore should uncover them very quickly..........(i.e. most brutal marine environment u can subject this ski too). Another 6 of those has been towing family and friends...........

how many hours r u guys at???.....i got one of the freak skis in Feb. so i got a little headstart on most peeps

Quote Originally Posted by gpr_redneck View Post
    +1 to that haha,
    on the subject of failing sc's, havent sea-doo's failed with less then 20 hrs on them? so i think it would be safe to say as of right now there doesnt seem to be any failing sc's
    This is true, I'm just saying, the higher the hours the more chance something is going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    dont know if i deserve the "sick bastard" award for too many hours on their ski.....but thx for the vote of confidence .....im at 63 hours right now.....about 30 of those r offshore....if theres any underlying problems......riding offshore should uncover them very quickly..........(i.e. most brutal marine environment u can subject this ski too). Another 6 of those has been towing family and friends...........

how many hours r u guys at???.....i got one of the freak skis in Feb. so i got a little headstart on most peeps
    I don't know Rip, you'll have to be at 100hrs by August 3rd to beat me!!! Now that I said that you'll be out to top it off! When did you get yours?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information