State of Confusion BartenderSmalley's Avatar

GTX - 8 silver bolts on the BOTTOM of the engine???

Hey all. Thanks for any help.

I have a 2004 GTX that I am rebuilding - was a friends, he blew the motor. I have everything stripped off and am down to pulling the head off. There are 8 silver torque head, large round bolts on the very BOTTOM of the engine that APPEAR to run all the way into the engine.

What are they??

Are they holding the lower block to the cylinder block??? I have all the bolts off holiding it otherwise - is there a trick to getting the two pieces separated???

I tried using a air driver to get them out - first one didn't budge, so I didn't go any further until I knew what I was working with.

THANKS>

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    those are just caps....

heat them and break them look and take out... they are very soften and get mangled easily... so hit the edges with a little heat to break all the stupid excessiev loctite and take off all those silver caps.

then beaneath them are 8 more BOLTS that holes the case halves together.

then it will all pop apart

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    those are just caps....

heat them and break them look and take out... they are very soften and get mangled easily... so hit the edges with a little heat to break all the stupid excessiev loctite and take off all those silver caps.

then beaneath them are 8 more BOLTS that holes the case halves together.

then it will all pop apart
    WTF?? Are you serious?? Why would they put window dressing on the BOTTOM of the motor?? What does THAT do for anything??? I can't imagine it serving some purpose down there. LOL.

THANKS for the info. Will try that tonight. Wasn't looking to have to go out and buy a set of torque male sockets.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Once you get it apart you'll see what their function is.

The 4-tec engine uses the entire lower case as the "main cap" for the crankshaft and balance shaft. This feature is one of the reasons the lower half is so strong. A conventional engine would use caps on the crank and then enclose the area with an oil pan.

Because of this superior design, holes are required to reach the bolts that keep it together... hence the "covers/caps" that must be used to seal the oil sump.

Shibby is right, they are a bit soft and a male torque socket on an impact driver will quickly deform one. A little heat does the trick.
    Last edited by 05Limited; 07-15-2008 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 05Limited View Post
    Once you get it apart you'll see what their function is.

The 4-tec engine uses the entire lower case as the "main cap" for the crankshaft and balance shaft. This feature is one of the reasons the lower half is so strong. A conventional engine would use caps on the crank and then enclose the area with an oil pan.

Because of this superior design, holes are required to reach the bolts that keep it together... hence the "covers/caps" that must be used to seal the oil sump.

Shibby is right, they are a bit soft and a male torque socket on an impact driver will quickly deform one. A little heat does the trick.
    But are they threaded??? Or am I just looking to 'pop' these things out?? Should I be heating them up and THEN using the socket to spin them out? Just not sure how they are held in. Assuming if you use locktite there have to be some threads.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    They are threaded... and overly coated with Loctite. Actually, the latter year skis seem to be easier to remove (BRP must be cost cutting by scrimping on Loctite)

I have used heat, a big breaker bar, and a second person to help hold the engine stand... when they snap loose, be ready!

+1
    Do not overheat them.... or the socket will spin in the plug. Then your in big trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information