Idle & WOT rpm, top speed, 97 SLTX, LOTS of???'s

(NEWBIE WARNING)
    So Im the type of guy who bought these and besides putting gas and oil in them and maybe washing them a couple times, i never even considered working on them, tuning, moding, changing fuel lines, cleaning carbs, ext... Im not real mechanically inclined and in the past would rather take them somewhere than even change the spark plugs myself, but i can do ANYTHING by reading and following directions and i feel confident enough to give some things a try with your guys help and advice, you guys make a newbie want to work on a ski, cool.

So just a little history of my PWC knowledge, We bought these 2 97 SLTX in 2005. Ran great in 05 & 06, one had a rebuilt moter the other motor went bad at the end of the 06 season, had it rebuilt, so both have rebuilt moters. One started acting up and so we dropped them off to be worked on- end of season 06, they went through 4 different places from nov 2006- may 2008---18 MONTHS---Missed a whole season!!! Anyway--- we finally got it fixed and got it back a few months ago and found you guys a few months ago as well (WISH i would have found you guys SOONER!!!) So i remember clearly in 05 & 06 both boats would run 53-55 mph with me on them and i weigh 325lbs (YEA im a big guy) Anyway---

Now we took them out yesterday and now that you guys have made me want to become a PWC Polari Personal mechanic I start thinking about performance issues, RPM, Idle, Top Speed, ext... So idle in the water for both skis are 1300-1400rpm, top speed rpms are 6400, top speed only 48mph, both skis are exactly the same specs, both ran flawlessly, but I know they used to go 53-55 mph.

So where might i start to get a little more out of them or should we just enjoy them as they are (running both great) and get through the season, then work on improvements later??

We will take them to the lake here in Arkansas maybe 4 or 5 times this year and our big trip will be taking them to the ocean in Florida for 10 days in september for our family trip, Any special preperation for the ocean trip?? I am getting some Salt-away & fluid film, any other things we need or need to do. Also what would the best prep for the ocean be---wash, wax, salt away, then fluid film them, take them to the ocean, then every evening when we bring them in- do a salt away rince inside & out, then Fluid film them, is it recomended to salt-away the whole ski inside & outside and trailor, also fluild film just engine bay & impeller/pump/shaft area, or fluid film on the hull also??
    Thanks for reading my novel sized post with tons of jumbled up questions but I thought i would try and knock several out at once.

+1
    Are your figures from GPS or the MFD?

MDF, dont have way to do gps right now. Mdf's both need refurb, they are both missing parts of numbers ext...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The MFD accuracy is modest at top speed, and even little changes in the pitot inlet, intake grate water flow, or sometimes just rider position, can change the reading.

The only accurate way to check PWC speeds is to strap a GPS on (to yourself or the boat, not just rattling around in the storage bucket), and go for a ride. Almost every GPS can show current and peak speeds, even the older, cheap models.

Sometimes you will see one GPS peak speed number that is unusually high (and not correct), and that sometimes happens with GPS. For the most part, GPS are amazingly accurate.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Sometimes you will see one GPS peak speed number that is unusually high (and not correct), and that sometimes happens with GPS. For the most part, GPS are amazingly accurate.
    Yeah, I hit a top speed of 94 mph on my 19' 4.3 liter bowrider.

+1
    Your max RPM's seem a little low to me, I've always seen the neighborhood of 65-6600RPM with a stock machine. Have you verified they set the timing correctly?
    You should have 20 degrees at 3,000RPM and 13 degrees at 6250 RPM's.
    What's compression?
    Have you or they gone through the fuel system to verify you haven't a small restriction that is starting to affect your overall top speed??

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Yeah, I hit a top speed of 94 mph on my 19' 4.3 liter bowrider.

do you still have it ? i got a 4.3 with vortec heads i wanna part out , ported heads really wake up a 4.3 , but i got s10 thats getting a v8

Thread Information