Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Pix of shortened exhaust manifold?

Anybody have pix of a shortened 951 exhaust manifold?

Thanks!

+1
    how do the carbs clear the manifold? or the pipe junction?

can you get it short enough to really make a diff?

TLR

PS: I haven't been able to find anybody able to make that real nice exhaust outlet, in fact the one file wasn't able to open fully

TLR

+1
    To be honest, I don't know any details about the manifold. I've seen it mentioned here & there, but no real details. For me, it's a clearance issue more than a performance one. That being said, I imagine you can't just shorten it without making adjustments elsewhere, which would require more research. I'm just looking for a starting point.

I'm just starting to get back into the 951 game after 3 years. The last project was installing a 951 DI into a 99 GSX-L and stepping it up to a level 1 plus. That boat has been so reliable I haven't had to do squat to it in 3+ seasons. Just feed, lube, & clean it. I've found I've missed a lot of developments in 951 technology over that time.

"PS: I haven't been able to find anybody able to make that real nice exhaust outlet, in fact the one file wasn't able to open fully"
    Is the reason you can't get the outlet made because of the drawing? If so I can send it to you in another format. LMK...

+1
    nah, I had a buddy in the automotive industry with access to every machine aval, but his company went into bankruptcy and he almost got screwed out of a job, but the assets/personal got bought by their competitor.

I've been too busy boating to do any jetsking this summer, maybe over the winter once again I'll get into the ole' XPL

thanks, Tim

I have a shortened and ported 951 manifold I will post pics of. Total of 10mm taken off. Some on the cylinder side some one the head pipe side.

Give me a day or two.

Here are the pics, 2 off the cylinder side and 8 off the head pipe.

On a stock or mild ported motor, this is supposed to add hole shot and top end....

On my phase 3 ported cylinder, from my understanding the shortened manifold won't be as good, because the exhaust port work that was done, is doing the same thing as shortening the manifold.

I guess the shortened manifold tricks the motor into thinking the exhaust ports are larger?

Interested in all your guys opinions as well!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03714.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	83516   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03715.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	83517   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03716.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	83518   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03717.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	83519  

+1
    Thanks for the excellent pix! 10mm is a lot - would definitely help with the clearance of the pipe. My motor has had a little port work done, but mostly cleanup of the case & manifold passages. This looks like an easy task, now if I could just go in afterward with a CNC and cut the o-ring groove...

Sure... I'm curious what all the vets have to say about the advantages and disadvantages of this mod.....and if I am on the right track with my theory......

I just talked with a guy who had 5 mils taken off the cylinder side of his 787 and he said he was turning more rpms with a spec I than a stock manifold and a spec II.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
    Sure... I'm curious what all the vets have to say about the advantages and disadvantages of this mod.....and if I am on the right track with my theory......

I just talked with a guy who had 5 mils taken off the cylinder side of his 787 and he said he was turning more rpms with a spec I than a stock manifold and a spec II.
    Honestly, when I searched GH.net and PWCToday mostly what I got were your threads. I really haven't seen any info out there documenting results.

My main concern with shortening the manifold is where this puts the pipe. Unless you put a 10m spacer between the manifold & the pipe, you'll need to reconfigure the front & side pipe mounts & the stinger will be 10mm farther outboard. This could cause me other clearance issues and mess up the waterbox position.

+1
    so did you have to make new support mounts for the pipe? i would think it would be tough to get everything aligned for new supports unless you had the engine out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information