Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Gen 1 Riva IC versus Gen 2 Riva IC???

Ok, so I thought what made the original Riva IC so good was it's smaller size allowed it to cool the intake charger better. And I thought the problem with the XS IC was that it's large size did not cool the intake charge as well. So why am I to believe that the new Gen 2 Riva IC well perform just as well or better than the original IC kit and not just be an overpriced XS IC? I'm a little confused.
    Last edited by RXP-REX; 07-15-2008 at 10:00 PM.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP-REX View Post
    Ok, so I thought what made the original Riva IC so good was it's smaller size allowed it to cool the intake charger better. And I thought the problem with the XS IC was that it's large size did not cool the intake charge as well. So why am I to believe that the new Gen 2 Riva IC well perform just as well or better than the original IC kit and not just be an overpriced XS IC? I'm a little confused.
    Send one to danny.... Let him flow it!

+1
    The Gen 2 cooler is a stock X series cooler Apparently Riva found that the X cooler performs pretty well. And then decided to steal it from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    The Gen 2 cooler is a stock X series cooler Apparently Riva found that the X cooler performs pretty well. And then decided to steal it from the factory.
    I know they stole it. Just curious as to why? Is it a better performer or were they sick of the Vortech IC leaking issues? Did they trade some performance for reliability or...? Trying to weigh my options here and gain a better understanding of these IC's. I'm thinking of either upgrading to the Piranha or Riva Gen2 IC. Just want to make the right decision the first time.

+1
    Comparing advertisements it's a 3 peak HP difference..

+1
    I'm wondering also should I pitch my Riva, and go gen 2? But first off I need to replace my head gasket I blew . Sooooooooo are they worth it?

Banned User
    +1
    I happened to get a good look at a X Cooler last week, which is the 2G Riva unit...Here are some pics of what I have, and from what I can "predict" for airflow...

***** For comparison purposes, lets use the XS as a "base" when comparing the internal layout....

The XS and Piranha use the same style CORE, as seen in the cross section picture... Medium width cooling fins, and the water passage bars are slightly smaller. The cross section shows an intertwining of multiple small fins, not a straight through design like a radiator on a car...

The 1G Riva (ie Vortech) has a taller fin design and a smaller water bar...The fin design of the Vortech is similar to a radiator, in that its a straight through design, not multiple intertwining like that of the XS...

The 2G Riva (X cooler) has a layout similar to both units, with the cooling fins like a 1G unit, but water bar thickness of an XS...The width of the fins/bars on the X are almost the same...This I find to be GOOD, better water flow equals better evacuation of heated water...PLUS since the design is similar to the XS units, the are probably less prone to leaking like the 1G Riva's were...

From flow data, the average BP of the XS was 1.3", while the Riva 1G was 4.0", and Piranha was around 5.6"...Being that the CORE of the XS and Pir were similar, one can assume the better flow due to the size of the encaps and openings (XS = 3", Pir = 2.5")....

From the looks of it, the endcaps of the X are not like of any of the other 3. The are more straight to the back layout, which could force airflow to be concentrated in a specific area of the core...

I have yet to flow an X unit, but from the looks of it I would predict it to flow somewhere in the 4.5-6.5" range, based on the endcaps and core design...Anyone want to send one over? 1 week turn around

Here are some pics of the cores...

--Danny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comparo.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	222.0 KB 
ID:	83251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xs_cross.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	83252  
    Last edited by Danny; 07-15-2008 at 11:48 PM. Reason: spelling

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I happened to get a good look at a X Cooler last week, which is the 2G Riva unit...Here are some pics of what I have, and from what I can "predict" for airflow...

***** For comparison purposes, lets use the XS as a "base" when comparing the internal layout....

The XS and Piranha use the same style CORE, as seen in the cross section picture... Medium width cooling fins, and the water passage bars are slightly smaller. The cross section shows an intertwining of multiple small fins, not a straight through design like a radiator on a car...

The 1G Riva (ie Vortech) has a taller fin design and a smaller water bar...The fin design of the Vortech is similar to a radiator, in that its a straight through design, not multiple intertwining like that of the XS...

The 2G Riva (X cooler) has a layout similar to both units, with the cooling fins like a 1G unit, but water bar thickness of an XS...The width of the fins/bars on the X are almost the same...This I find to be GOOD, better water flow equals better evacuation of heated water...PLUS since the design is similar to the XS units, the are probably less prone to leaking like the 1G Riva's were...

From flow data, the average BP of the XS was 1.3", while the Riva 1G was 4.0", and Piranha was around 5.6"...Being that the CORE of the XS and Pir were similar, one can assume the better flow due to the size of the encaps and openings (XS = 3", Pir = 2.5")....

From the looks of it, the endcaps of the X are not like of any of the other 3. The are more straight to the back layout, which could force airflow to be concentrated in a specific area of the core...

I have yet to flow an X unit, but from the looks of it I would predict it to flow somewhere in the 4.5-6.5" range, based on the endcaps and core design...Anyone want to send one over? 1 week turn around

Here are some pics of the cores...

--Danny
    So in layman terms are thry better or worse

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    So in layman terms are thry better or worse
    Cooling better/worse? I would say they are close...
    Flowing better/worse? We'll know when I flow one...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Danny,

Beachbum0286 has his x intercooler sitting on a shelf and it has been there since it was new. Pm him or I'll ask he would prob send it out to you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information