Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Ever been harassed by boaters?

Have you ever been harassed by boaters that don't understand the rules of the water? Over the 4th of july weekend at the Lake of the Ozarks I was.

I got harassed by a husband and wife on a huge cabin cruiser in my own cove (big dick's halfway inn cove). He thought it was a no wake zone, even took my picture. So i flipped him the bird and proceeded to fly down MY cove at 60 mph, sharp u-turn and back down again at 60 mph. He was rather pissed. I didn't bother trying to explain how the no wake zones only extend 100 feet from docks/shore.

We also have a problem at the Ozarks because boaters don't realize that skis are boats too and must follow the same rules of right-of-way. They assume you must give them the right-of-way no matter what.

I've been thinking about getting a handful of MO Lake Rules and passing them out to idiot boaters. Being ranked the 3rd most dangerous body of water in the USA it won't be hard finding idiots to pass the booklets out to.

Hey Mike, did you get something in the mail when you were down there? Danny, Harko, and I visited Big Dicks the day after father's Day for a drink...We left you a note...

I had a guy point back cause he knew i was waitin to jump his wake. I was, but i always give 300-400 feet minnimum before doing it. That way im not pissing anyone off. Guy didnt look mad, just givin me a heads up, and i acknowledged with a nod and a wave.

Otherwise theyve left me alone, i always give right of way to the boats i see on the river, mostly cause most are in the 35+ range, and theres some 40 foot go fasts runnin around at 85-100 all day. Im small and maneuvarable, theyre not so much.

Santa Monika, People's Republik of Kalifornia...
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by miketrin
    So i flipped him the bird and proceeded to fly down MY cove at 60 mph, sharp u-turn and back down again at 60 mph. He was rather pissed. I didn't bother trying to explain how the no wake zones only extend 100 feet from docks/shore.
    Well Mike maybe you should have taken the time to tell him you were allowed to do what you were doing.

You were legit, but instead of making your legit point you created one more PWC hater.

+1
    I did get a little note in the mailbox. That's like the 3rd time I missed those guys. damnit!

Oh well 11. I think I was just a little shocked at the time that he was dumb enough to think the cove was no wake.

huber heights ohio soon near New Port Richie Florida
    where i do my testing the fishermen hate me one guy took my picture and put it up on the bulliten board. i finally cornerd him and asked whats up he said that i should ride somewhere else i responded with was i to close to you ( i stay atleast 50-60ft away from any ski or boat that i dont know. he said it was cause i was going to fast and he was concerned that i might hurt someone there was 3 boats and no ski son the lake. i told him sorry and every time i see him i ask him is it ok if i go fast. killing him with kindness:smt098 :smt098 :smt098 :smt098 the only thing that i like about boats is there wake........ but, like anything else there is always peckerwoods

Quote Originally Posted by miketrin
    I didn't bother trying to explain how the no wake zones only extend 100 feet from docks/shore.

We also have a problem at the Ozarks because boaters don't realize that skis are boats too and must follow the same rules of right-of-way. They assume you must give them the right-of-way no matter what.
    I don't know the rules in your state, but in Michigan you are responsible for your wake. In other words, if someone can prove wake from your PWC caused damage, no matter how far away from the damage you were, you are responsible for fixing the damage you caused. So if you're riding near, (but not in) a no wake zone, you're still kind of putting yourself at risk.

Also, here in Michigan PWC operators have to abide by all boating rules and then some. Because PWC are more maneuverable they are expected to give way to all other boats. So basically we're only on the same rule level as other PWC operatrors. I guess you could say we're at the bottom of the pyramid.

We get yelled at all the time but we also have a way of dealing with it I'd rather not say you ppl might think my friends and I are bad ppl...

I think most of us have had some kind of run in. On the lake I go to, I have had boaters not give an inch. I pull my kids most of the time so I am always looking for that one who thinks the lake belongs to them. Just last weekend I had a fisherman cut me off, He had the whole lake but it was easier for him to just cut in front of me than go around me while I was pulling my kids, I guess the fish would not wait.
    Don't get me wrong, there are some people with ski's that should not be out there but there are are just as many people that have boats that don't have a clue about the rules of the water or just don't give a darn.

Just a few weeks ago a soldier was killed out on our lake when his ski and a boat collided. He went a whole year fighting in Iraq, then gets killed relaxing on the lake.
    I do not know tha final outcome yet about who's fault it was but they(Deputy & Ranger) were saying, both were at fault as they either did not see each other or were not going to give in. The Soldier just bought the ski on a Friday and was killed that Sunday.
    I have a 15 year old who has her boating License, when they pulled that ski up next to my trailer, it really hit home that you really need to look out for yourself out there. She finally understands why I am always nagging on her about saftey.

Never been harrassed by boaters but yeah some of them will come straight at you and think you are the one that is suppose to move out of the way.

Maybe they feel they can charge straight at you cuz a pwc doesn't stand a chance against a boat, especially a standup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information