+1

Which head gasket stock or copper?

Ok I'm running a Stage 3 setup and my head gasket let loose, I see a copper one on the online store or is the stock one fine for a Rude SC?

Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    Ok I'm running a Stage 3 setup and my head gasket let loose, I see a copper one on the online store or is the stock one fine for a Rude SC?
    Are you sure your block and head are flat? Have them decked to be sure.

+1
    I run the studs and stock gasket, I have used copper on the street, but not on a ski. With that in mind, I can tell u the copper sealed combustion chambers better, was reusable (if same head/block), BUT, some coolant loss is considered normal. I don't have a whole lot of time on the turbo ski, but 20+ psi spikes and no head gasket issues. I would be willing to bet most 4-tec head gasket failures are due to overtemp/detonation issues (been buyin' gas at the dock? )

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 9secZO6 View Post
    I run the studs and stock gasket, I have used copper on the street, but not on a ski. With that in mind, I can tell u the copper sealed combustion chambers better, was reusable (if same head/block), BUT, some coolant loss is considered normal. I don't have a whole lot of time on the turbo ski, but 20+ psi spikes and no head gasket issues. I would be willing to bet most 4-tec head gasket failures are due to overtemp/detonation issues (been buyin' gas at the dock? )
    Nope gas was bought this year 92 octane from a Chevron (not that means anything now days) I have a BRP 158* thermostat. No I will chock it up to bad gas or bad luck

Copper head gasket

I'm about to have a head pulling party myself, and will be needing new head gaskets... I'd love to hear from anyone that is running one. The main attraction for me is the slight increase in compression. Also since we run these ski's wide open for extended periods of time, it would make sense that if the copper works better for high performance automobiles, it would benifit us as well.

Mainly I'm curious if anyone has had any failures with the copper gasket? Do you O-ring it?

Hey Z06, where does this expected coolant loss go? I surely hope it isn't leaking into the combustion chamber??!?

+1
    no, the loss I have seen on v-8s is between the block and head, leaking on the ground. The multi-layer steel (MLS) gaskets seem to work better for coolant retention and the copper (o-ringed) can't be beat for containing cyl pressure. Since u are about to get those 04 valves out of there why don't u go copper w/ some spray on both sides and let us know how it works out? I don't wanna scare anyone into thinking they would get some coolant in the hull from time to time, but it would be one of my concerns. I talked w. Jerry about this some tima ago, and he is running 24psi on the stock gasket w/ no issues.....good enough for me

coolant in my boat is fine by me, coolant in the combustion chamber is another story. I'll probably copper/o-ring my GPRXP head, but use the thinner stock gaskets on the boat motors. I have 2 sets of -7 valves, gonna use those in the head, with RPM's aren't required.

Thread Information