Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    RESPECT
    +1

Question Maybe Final Question On Gpr

Well I thought I had it all together right but I guess not. I always said if this thing breaks down on me and leaves me stranded its gone so its probably gone. But I have to fix it before it goes. Its on 01 gp1200r. Well I was cruzin around and I thought it was reliable so I took it for a joy ride. I went to get on a plane and it felt like it was cavitating or something and the rpms went up to like 7500 in the blink of an eye so i just let go of the throttle. I tryed it again and the rpms went up really high, to about 6200 so I let off the throttle alittle bit to get it on a plane and it finally made it up. I was cruzin at about 30 mph at about 5000 rpms for about 20 seconds so i slowed down and shut it off to let it cool down or something. I waited like 30 seconds and hit the start button and nothing. I had to jump off and swim it to land (about 500 yards) and tied it up to a dock and had a buddy pick me up in a car and went back to my house and picked up the trailer and got my boat and brought it to the ramp. Put it on the trailer and took the seat off and when I hit the start button I hear a thump in the electrical box. What is wrong with it now?
    Thanks Derek

Quote Originally Posted by YOUNGGUNZ403 View Post
    Well I thought I had it all together right but I guess not. I always said if this thing breaks down on me and leaves me stranded its gone so its probably gone. But I have to fix it before it goes. Its on 01 gp1200r. Well I was cruzin around and I thought it was reliable so I took it for a joy ride. I went to get on a plane and it felt like it was cavitating or something and the rpms went up to like 7500 in the blink of an eye so i just let go of the throttle. I tryed it again and the rpms went up really high, to about 6200 so I let off the throttle alittle bit to get it on a plane and it finally made it up. I was cruzin at about 30 mph at about 5000 rpms for about 20 seconds so i slowed down and shut it off to let it cool down or something. I waited like 30 seconds and hit the start button and nothing. I had to jump off and swim it to land (about 500 yards) and tied it up to a dock and had a buddy pick me up in a car and went back to my house and picked up the trailer and got my boat and brought it to the ramp. Put it on the trailer and took the seat off and when I hit the start button I hear a thump in the electrical box. What is wrong with it now?
    Thanks Derek
    What year GPR?

Sounds like you have a dead battery or a bad CDI. The cavitation is a totally different issue if it really is cavitation. To figure that out look under the ski and up through the pump tunnel. How does the impeller look?

+1
    could be bad coils?

RESPECT
    +1
    Its a 2001 GP1200R. The motor was just rebuilt and has about 13hrs on it.

RESPECT
    +1
    Oooof, I just looked at the impeller and there is a pastic bag stuck in the impeller. That could be it!

Oooof, I just looked at the impeller and there is a pastic bag stuck in the impeller. That could be it!
    That would cause the cavitation and possibly stop the motor from cranking over.

RESPECT
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
    That would cause the cavitation and possibly stop the motor from cranking over.
    Thats what im thinkin. Im fixin to go out there an take it out.

RESPECT
    +1
    well that wasnt the problem. I took out the driveshaft and took out the piece of plastic and tryed to turn it over without the shaft in it and nothin. What now?

+1
    well that wasnt the problem. I took out the driveshaft and took out the piece of plastic and tryed to turn it over without the shaft in it and nothin. What now?
    The bag caused your cavitation.

A loose connection or dead battery is your cause for not starting.

When these little batts. decied to let go they just go. No warning.

RESPECT
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GPryan View Post
    The bag caused your cavitation.

A loose connection or dead battery is your cause for not starting.

When these little batts. decied to let go they just go. No warning.
    The battery is about 2 months old. What if I hooked up a charger on it. Would it still jump it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information