Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

AIRFLOW Work (X Waterbox and Pipe)

AIRFLOW work

2008 OEM Exhaust Straight Pipe
    2008 OEM Waterbox

I happen to get my hands on an OEM exhaust setup from an 2008 RXP-X, but this part of the system is standard on ALL 2008 4TEC machines. There are BIG differences between 2007 and 2008, all in function and build…

Starting with the straight pipe that replaces the old water jacketed Jpipe, this setup is straight forward in its design. The pipe is cast type unit, water jacketed up front near the bell housing, and is slightly skewed to the left into the waterbox. This straight design offers better flow results, but due to its cast design, no modification (like Flaring) can be done other than trimming the pipe. Since these were not our parts, nor did we not have permission, we did not trim the pipe to see the results…

The waterbox is very similar to the old unit, with just 2 design changes. Although the size remains the same, along with the exit location, the rest is altered to mate with the new straight pipe. The inlet pipe enters in the front of the box almost horizontal to the whole unit, unlike the previous model which entered almost vertically. From there, the back wall of the waterbox has a baffle welded in. Although the rear of the box is capped with an outward concave, there is a baffle of slightly smaller endcap, with slots cut out, pointing in the opposite direction. From there the original baffles and internal ductwork remain…

We did the basic flow bench work, flowing each part individually and combined. Below are listed the numbers, along with the previous generation items, showing the difference…

** All airflow measurements taken at 0.460 airflow rate, which is equal to a 4TEC motor spinning at 6000rpm (cruising speed)

Straight Pipe
    08 unit = 5.4” of BP, 24.2Hz, 0.460 FR
    07 unit = 7.5” of BP, 25.7Hz, 0.460 FR

Results = The 2008 unit has a 28% reduction in BP as compared to the previous generation units…

Waterbox
    08 unit = 11.7” of BP, 29.1Hz, 0.460 FR
    07 unit = 15.1” of BP, 31.0Hz, 0.460 FR

Results = The 2008 unit has a 22.5% reduction in BP as compared to the previous generation units…

Combination
    08 setup = 18.3” of BP, 33.4Hz, 0.460 FR
    07 setup = 22.9” of BP, 37.2Hz, 0.460 FR

Results = The 2008 setup has a 20.1% reduction in BP as compared to the previous generation units…

Conclusion
    About a 20% overall reduction in exhaust BP, not including the removal of the resonator, which by itself will only add about 1.1-1.3” of BP…so the new 08 setup is more efficient.

Future Flow Work
    A trimmed straight pipe…
    Gutted Waterbox’s
    OEM X-IC (Riva 2G unit)

If anyone would like to contribute to future flowwork, or has any questions about the flow work performed, feel free to PM me...

--Danny

History of Waterbox Airflow…
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40111

Work with Manifold/IC’s…
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46959
    Last edited by Danny; 07-16-2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling

+1
    Great info Danny!

+1
    Very cool! Now we just need a much more efficient water jacketed J pipe replacement for all of us pre-2008 owners ...

nice work Danny

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Very cool! Now we just need a much more efficient water jacketed J pipe replacement for all of us pre-2008 owners ...

OR rather than everyone bolting up J-pipes to 2008's which i intended to do ............ but i assure NOW i will not after reading these flow results ..........thank U VERY MUCH D DAN DANNO ........if i were a 2007 model year or older owner and wanted stock noise levels with more power/better flow with less back pressure.......i would run a 2008 straight pipe and 2008 water box ..........theres no reason it shouldnt bolt right up ...........better flow IMMEDIATELY if these numbers reflect in boat performance ........good luck fellas!
    Last edited by REID2168; 07-16-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    OR rather than everyone bolting up J-pipes to 2008's which i intended to do ............ but i assure NOW i will not after reading these flow results ..........thank U VERY MUCH D DAN DANNO ........if i were a 2007 model year or older owner and wanted stock noise levels with more power/better flow with less back pressure.......i would run a 2008 straight pipe and 2008 water box ..........theres no reason it shouldnt bolt right up ...........better flow IMMEDIATELY if these numbers reflect in boat performance ........good luck fellas!

That would be true given the numbers, but we still don't know what a gutted box or trimmed straight pipe would flow like...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    That would be true given the numbers, but we still don't know what a gutted box or trimmed straight pipe would flow like...

true but in my statements im speaking for us guys that DONT like all that noise as i said STOCK noise levels with increased flow for older models! great work! as well this kept me from going backwards on my X boat as i intened to add a J pipe just for the bung sensor for tuning but will not and will seek my 02 sensor connection elsewhere and u saved me a bunch of BS! thanks!

Banned User
    +1
    true but in my statements im speaking for us guys that DONT like all that noise as i said STOCK noise levels with increased flow for older models! great work! as well this kept me from going backwards on my X boat as i intened to add a J pipe just for the bung sensor for tuning but will not and will seek my 02 sensor connection elsewhere and u saved me a bunch of BS! thanks!

You can always keep the resonator in there

awesome work danny boy. would a gutted waterbox 08 have a better flow and increase rpms??

+1
    Has anyone tried the '08 straight pipe and waterbox on a '07 or older ski ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information