Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Spark plug boot problems

Has anyone noticed that there boots kinna work themselves up aftre a day or hard riding? enough to where they need to be pushed back down?? i have noticed this now for 3 days in a row ... esc the 1 cylinder

+1
    I've had this happen a few times on my 951. I was thinking I need new plug boots but in the meantime I replaced the screw on cap on the plug, wrapped a wrap or 2 of electrical tape around the plug insulator, put the boots back on and put a tie wrap around each one. I haven't had any issues over the last few rides.
    I figure I'll pick up some new boots next time I need parts.
    Doug

RXP Spark Plug Boots

Drew, The boots on the RXP's are completely different than on the 951's.

I had a very simular thing happen on the plug wires on my 02 Audi A4. They are like the ones on our skis in that they go down through the head to the plug. Mine would pop up after hard driving. After replacing the coil packs with no change it ended up being the plugs were not torqued correctly and there was blow by building up pressure and poping the coil packs up about a half inch. Retorqued with no no problems. Worth a try.

thanks will try

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clarke
    Drew, The boots on the RXP's are completely different than on the 951's.
    Ohhhh. Ok. Thanks for the heads up Tom. Just ignore the guy riddin' the outdated equipment.

+1
    Anybody ever had problem with the cap end off the plug striping off the threads and stuck inside boot. I just noticed that the end cap on all 3 of my plugs that i removed were still stuck up in the boots. What a pain in the rear. I guess the only way to get them out is with some sort of ease out. In the mean time i have ordered 3 more boots for 25 bucks each.
    I guess the plugs that i took out were the original and had not been changed. in the mean time they got stuck in boot once and someone pulled the boots off and the end connector cap came completey off each plug and they are lodged in each boot.

+1
    Which part are you talking about being stuck, part of the spark plug or part of the spark plug boot ? If it is the threaded end cap on the spark plug, they are not used anyhow. When you pull the plugs out you just have the threaded post on top of the plugs. Hopefully that is all it is, the coils cost $$$$.
    Last edited by DaveC; 03-05-2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: info

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    Which part are you talking about being stuck, part of the spark plug or part of the spark plug boot ? If it is the threaded end cap on the spark plug, they are not used anyhow. When you pull the plugs out you just have the threaded post on top of the plugs. Hopefully that is all it is, the coils cost $$$$.
    Ok, yes it is the part on the plug. So i guess they sold me the wrong plugs cause the new ones have the cap like normal plugs look and they are sure not going to allow the boot down. I was thinking that I just need to try and uscrew that piece off the post but it seems that it is on there pretty tight and i did not want to screw up the plugs if i had to take them back.

so the new plug shoud only have the threaded post?

and yes they wanted 115 or so per each coil. just the boot is 25 a piece.

+1
    Yes just unscrew the cap on top of the plugs, it may be sort of tight. Use pliars to break it free so that you will just have the threaded portion showing. Your coil should push down fine then and you will feel it going down over the threaded portion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information