Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sea Doo Extended warranty- SHould I?

Should I purchase the extened warranty for my RXT 2007? If so does anyone have any dealers in mind that will beat the $ 928 that my dealer want for 4 more years?
    I have heard that many dealers across the nation sell them over the internet. Help if you know anybody that will do this?

If you plan on serious mods, dont bother, light modding go ahead but speak with the dealer on his flexabiltiy on the mods and if it will void the warranty or they will let it slide

By the way welcome to the Forum!

Banned User
    I must first qualify what I am about say - I do not know a whole lot about the 4TEC engines or any Seadoos made after 2001. My experience has been with 1994-1998 models.

In particular is my own 1996 HX which I bought new and purchased a 3 year B.E.S.T. warranty from Seadoo. At the time the HX was about $7200 and the warranty another hmmmm....I think $600-800. I had no plans for mods, so I wasn't worried about voiding the warranty on that front.

THANK GAWD I bought that warranty.

Within the first year the pump bearing was damaged and the driveshaft got a little chewed up. That repair was worth about $1000.....but covered at no cost to me under the basic factory warranty.

It was the BIG disaster the 3rd year that the extended warranty really paid for itself. The exhaust pipe had vibrated loose, destroyed a stud on the manifold, and then broke in half. This flooded the boat and left me stranded for 1.5 hours in the water until the ranger towed me in. A new pipe alone cost $700. The repair was worth about $2000 in the end.

Looking back, a lot of the repairs I could've done myself (just wasn't brave enough back then as I am now).....so I live more comfortably with my HX than ever. But since those problems were effectively Seadoo's fault, I'm glad they ended up paying for the repairs.

In general I think this generation of Seadoos was pretty good. But the heavy vibration and just the nature of 2 stroke life means the boats are rough on themselves.....so I think I made the right decision.

In contrast, I bought a new truck in 2004, but I didn't bother with buying an extended warranty of any kind for that.

So stepping out of what I DO know and into what I DON'T know.....

The newer Seadoos are a lot more reliable with the 4 stroke closed loop motors. But they are also MUCH more complex than ever before. Their electronics are very sophisticated and therefore need specialized equipment to decode and service.

You know how easy it is to break electronics (iPod, cell phone, remote control)?......yeah, electronics like that are in those new boats. And you don't normally fix those things - you have to buy new ones. This stuff is EXPENSIVE. I'm not remarkably surprised if a 96 HX needs a couple hundred bucks worth of parts today. But I know I don't need to buy things like superchargers or expensive computers.

If you buy the extended warranty, I'd try to stick with the local dealer unless you know you are getting a good deal on an official BRP/Bombardier/Seadoo warranty. Don't bother with 3rd party extended warranties - you'd be amazed at the difficultly with claims. And the Seadoo warranty is much more universal even though it is costly.

Okay, sorry about the rant. Hopefully folks more educated on the 4 stroke boats can chime in with some of their thoughts.
    Last edited by JPX; 07-18-2008 at 03:40 AM.

On another note buy the SEADOO B.E.S.T. only! As other said 3rd party one's suck. It is a great tool as well if you decide to sell it down the road. BEST does transfer with the craft. You just need to let Seadoo dealer know so the records can be updated.

the warranty would cover supercharger failure if one of the ceramic washers let go. just to be safe still, switch to metal washers ASAP. even though the warranty would cover the repair costs, your ski would still be in the shop for weeks. by the way, welcome to the forum!!

Quote Originally Posted by JOhnL View Post
    Should I purchase the extened warranty for my RXT 2007? If so does anyone have any dealers in mind that will beat the $ 928 that my dealer want for 4 more years?
    I have heard that many dealers across the nation sell them over the internet. Help if you know anybody that will do this?
    Call Travis at Performance East , 1-919-731-4288
    Tell him NCRXP from Greenhulk site told you to call.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    On another note buy the SEADOO B.E.S.T. only! As other said 3rd party one's suck. It is a great tool as well if you decide to sell it down the road. BEST does transfer with the craft. You just need to let Seadoo dealer know so the records can be updated.
    Absolutely, great for resale value, by all means GET THE WARRANTY... both of mine are covered for 3 years and trust me it's worth the cost!

I should have bought it, cost me about 3k to fix mine when it broke just outside the 1 year warranty.

Thanks for the referral!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information