Wake Tower installation?

Am I correct in thinking that I don't need to reinforce the hull on a 2008 speedster 150 when I install a wake tower? Also, do the armrest pads come off? if so, is there a hole behind them that I could use to get behind the hull?

If anyone has any tips on installing a tower on a speedster 150 post up, I already read the how to for the challenger so I think I have a pretty good handle on it, but any tips would be appreciated.

I would reinforce the hull on ANY boat. It's just too easy not to do it, and the price of not doing it could be really awful. You can use fiberglass+resin, marine plywood, etc. You really want to distribute that force across as much surface area as possible.

Just my $0.02.

Search the fourm. There was a post awhile back on how to install the tower.
    Also check here: http://articles.richardhartman.net/tower/tower.htm
    Last edited by braveit1; 07-18-2008 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by braveit1 View Post
    Search the fourm. There was a post awhile back on how to install the tower.
    Also check here: http://articles.richardhartman.net/tower/tower.htm
    I've read that article several times, just trying to get any specific info on a speedster 150 install. The tower manufacturer says the hull is thick enough that you don't need any reinforcement, also I don't even know how you would get access to be able to put reinforcement. Speedster has much less room to get to the hull than the challenger. Looks like I'll be going through the engine access area for the back mounts, cup holder and throttle control area for the front mounts. The only thing I don't know is how far forward the tower should be positioned on a 150, looks like it may be just as far as I can reach my hand through the cup holder for the front mounts. I'll be doing the install saturday, so I'll try to take some pictures.

You're going to need SOME access just to install the backing plates, washers, and nuts. That may be enough to include some larger homemade backing plates or other reinforcement if you wish.

When you remove the cupholders, etc. see if you can measure the thickness of the fiberglass at your intended mounting points. Anything at or below 1/8th inch basically MUST have reinforcement. Above that it's a judgement call.

Report back!

I can't find it right now but there was a post that someone cut a round hole in the cooler and storage area to mount the wake tower on a Sportster SCIC. He used a plate to cover it up. Just can't seem to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by braveit1 View Post
    I can't find it right now but there was a post that someone cut a round hole in the cooler and storage area to mount the wake tower on a Sportster SCIC. He used a plate to cover it up. Just can't seem to find it.
    I remember reading that post but I couldn't find it again either. Looks like I won't have pictures or a write up or anything though. I found an installer around here that is going to do it for me. He'll be adding reinforcement also, figured this is a job that's worth paying someone that knows what they are doing to handle it. I'll post pictures after it's installed and let you guys know how hard he thought it was.

Quote Originally Posted by badass989 View Post
    I found an installer around here that is going to do it for me. He'll be adding reinforcement also, figured this is a job that's worth paying someone that knows what they are doing to handle it. I'll post pictures after it's installed and let you guys know how hard he thought it was.
    Hope that works out for you. I've come to the point that I try to do ALL work on my watercraft unless it's absolutely out of my league. Installing a tower isn't difficult, particularly if you have an assistant. Doing it yourself means you KNOW it was done right on YOUR boat.

Just my opinion.

Thread Information