Purchasing 1st PWC (XP?)

I've been shopping for a Seadoo PWC/PWC's for a couple weeks now and may be picking up a pair of 97 GTX's from my gf's uncle, but if he doesn't accept my offer I may just get a single ski for myself and get a second one for the gf and my 5 year old over the winter.

I've only ridden skis a couple times, but have always had most my fun just playing around in wakes, cornering around like and idiot, and just accelerating as fast as possible while trying to hang on . Acceleration is more important to me than top end.

I've been reading the forums non stop for a week now and I'm thinking an XP would match my riding style (Please correct me if I'm wrong)? My budget for a single ski would be about $3500. What would you suggest I keep an eye open for while shopping around (If it's an XP, what year would give the most bang for buck). I know some years of XP had issues with taking on water, etc... I'm not asking you to do my homework for me, just want to draw from others experiences as much as possible before making a purchase. Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by JJLee138; 07-17-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like an xp will match your riding personality. If you get an xp than the year to get is the 96. The only bad thing about them for you is the do not ride 2 people very well.

WELCOME
    TO
    GREENHULK

getting waterlogged hotrod_sxty8's Avatar
    go for the xp I have both the xp and the gtx being that mine is only a 650 it's fun to ride but now I wanna go with a bigger engine.
    for tight turns, wake etc the xp is the way to go...
    if you want a more smoother ride go with the gtx but you will loose the tight turning/handling but gain in the top speed unless you get an xp with the 800 in it...
    one other possibility is if you can get the gtx's for a decent cheap price you could always trade one of the gtx's off for an xp...

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. Not a bad idea about selling one of them off asap and picking up an XP... Somehow hadn't thought about that...

So do the rest of you concur? The best performance/reliability in the XP line for $3500 would be a 96 XP?
    Last edited by JJLee138; 07-17-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJLee138 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. Not a bad idea about selling one of them off asap and picking up an XP... Somehow hadn't thought about that...

So do the rest of you concur? The best performance/reliability in the XP line for $3500 would be a 96 XP?

For a single 96 XP you should be able to find one in great shape for $2,000-$2,500 easily!! I picked mine up for $2000 with a fresh motor, tube, trailer, pfds, and the hull is near mint!!!

They are all over Ebay too. I love my XP!! I didn't realize what a blast it was till the first time i rode a three seater. It was night and day!!! Good luck!!!
    I got lucky. I did no research before i bought my first ski. So i got lucky buy buying a 96XP. Didn't realize till after the fact what a good choice i had accidently made!!

Thread Information