Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much water in the hull is "normal"?

When trailering my RXT after ocean riding for a couple of hours, I get a fair amount of water gushing out. Several other jetski'ers on the dock have mentioned that it seems like a lot more water than they get. I'd estimate it at around a half gallon (?, maybe more) and it's not coming from the engine compartment as far as I can tell, nor are there visible cracks in the hull or around the intake or impeller. Bailer tubes look OK, at least the zip ties are still there. The ski has @ 8hrs and seems like it has always done this.

Paranoid or problem?

+1
    I don't ride the ocean but normal lake riding, mine stays bone dry.

I get some in my 04 GTX SC as well. Actually, mine is just a little wet inside of the engine compartment. I never really gave it much thought other than it is a boat, and water can find a way to get in there somehow, even with some hard lake riding. It completely dries out by the next day when I put it away without the seats on.

+1
    Lake rider and I get like an ounce of each plug.

+1

Re: How much water in the hull is "normal"?

Quote Originally Posted by Pee2xUSee
    When trailering my RXT after ocean riding for a couple of hours, I get a fair amount of water gushing out. Several other jetski'ers on the dock have mentioned that it seems like a lot more water than they get. I'd estimate it at around a half gallon (?, maybe more) and it's not coming from the engine compartment as far as I can tell, nor are there visible cracks in the hull or around the intake or impeller. Bailer tubes look OK, at least the zip ties are still there. The ski has @ 8hrs and seems like it has always done this.

Paranoid or problem?
    First dig down to the rubber boot around the drive shaft where it goes through the hull. make sure the seal on that boot is pressing against the plate on the drive shaft and it is aligned correctly. If you see any gaps or it doesn't line up, then ask your dealer to fix it.

If that looks okay then while the ski is on your trailer, raise up the nose as high as you can, put some water in the bilge, up to the drive shaft and watch for leaks around the pump shoe and drive shaft.

I had bad fiber glass on my rxp in my pump shoe and had it reglassed.

it all depends on how you ride. When I'm just cruising around the lake, racing people and normal riding I get a few quarts in there, but when I'm really tearing up the lake, jumping and spining every different way I can think of, I get tons of water. There has been times where I take my plugs out and water gushes out of them for 2 min strait, gallon after gallon.

I have modded my hull and i added hole in the nose for air flow
    I get some water in it but even with rugh water and playing I only
    get enough water to run 10 feet across my drive way when i pull plugs and
    raise the boat all the way up in front.Normailly when i pull the plugs sitting level it only has a few drips.YOu may have a leak.

Re: How much water in the hull is "normal"?

Quote Originally Posted by miketrin
    First dig down to the rubber boot around the drive shaft where it goes through the hull. make sure the seal on that boot is pressing against the plate on the drive shaft and it is aligned correctly. If you see any gaps or it doesn't line up, then ask your dealer to fix it.

If that looks okay then while the ski is on your trailer, raise up the nose as high as you can, put some water in the bilge, up to the drive shaft and watch for leaks around the pump shoe and drive shaft.

I had bad fiber glass on my rxp in my pump shoe and had it reglassed.
    Looking at the bottom there are no cracks or obvious signs of where water might creep in like yours Mike. I'll check the drive seal (if I can figure out how to get at it) and maybe have the dealer look at it since it's near the 10 hour check. It's not in the dealers best interest to find anything so I'd rather figure it out myself if ya know what I mean...

miketrin wrote:

raise up the nose as high as you can, put some water in the bilge, up to the drive shaft and watch for leaks around the pump shoe and drive shaft.
    Mike, what's the difference between leaving the ski flat and filling the hull with water to the point that it reaches the top of the drive shaft vs. your method

Took the RXT out again today and it filled right up; you could see water sitting in the engine compartment.

After riding, I usually tip the ski up as far as I can get on the trailer to drain out water. When I reach down under the engine there is still an inch or two at least so obviously I'm not doing a very good job. Anyone have a trick to get all the water out of there? Should I look into a bilge pump?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information