+1

how cold is too cold for i/c?

cooler air means more oxy and more power but if too cold will yield condensation and hurt not only performance but motor too, right? is it in relation to air temp, eng. comp. temp? just wondering cause i thought about flushing the i/c with low pressure ice water for 10 mins before a race, then thought maybe a medical cooling vest (like for burn victims) over the i/c. it may not stay cool long but hey every bit counts right? its not a new idea but a new method and just wondering how/ if it would work on a 250x. thanks

+1
    Well I can tell you that from my racing experience in the mustang world, you can never get it too cold. A roots makes too much heat. I have never heard of a condensation problem internally.

Not only does the dense air make more power, but the ecu probably pulls timing as air intake temp goes up.

Your idea probably would probably only work in a drag race scenario.
    Last edited by stangbang; 07-17-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by born riding View Post
    cooler air means more oxy and more power but if too cold will yield condensation and hurt not only performance but motor too, right? is it in relation to air temp, eng. comp. temp? just wondering cause i thought about flushing the i/c with low pressure ice water for 10 mins before a race, then thought maybe a medical cooling vest (like for burn victims) over the i/c. it may not stay cool long but hey every bit counts right? its not a new idea but a new method and just wondering how/ if it would work on a 250x. thanks
    and too cold is never too cold.... intercooler temps in my car are in the low 40's from the icewater mixture.... condensation is a sign it is working

what class would that vest put you in barrett? takes you out of stock i am pretty sure since it is technically an intercooler modification.....

see you in lake anna.... and i might not be be on a kawi for that race.....
    Last edited by Region8Ultra250X; 07-17-2008 at 09:06 PM.

+1

sounds good

i was gonna use portable garden sprayer (w/ hand pump) to run ice cold water thru the i/c on site for stock class (just an idea) (prob. just for hole shot, low temp would not sustain), but the vest idea is for rec ride racing, but im going to see a friend of mine who is using methonal to cool the air on his s/c jeep. not sure how he is doing it but i want to find out. you know just for fun.... but yeah i'll be at lake anna. hope to see you there. what ski will you be on?

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by born riding View Post
    i was gonna use portable garden sprayer (w/ hand pump) to run ice cold water thru the i/c on site for stock class (just an idea) (prob. just for hole shot, low temp would not sustain), but the vest idea is for rec ride racing, but im going to see a friend of mine who is using methonal to cool the air on his s/c jeep. not sure how he is doing it but i want to find out. you know just for fun.... but yeah i'll be at lake anna. hope to see you there. what ski will you be on?
    probably a p-x or t-x if i can't get my pump straightened out

Thread Information