2008 Factory brass washers/RXT S/C failure

My first post and first ski. Glad I stumbled onto this site.... 2008 RXT, 20 hrs, a shudder at idle, went away, seems fine, but ski won't go over 63mph. Off to the dealer service shop, 10 June 2008. I asked them to give it the once over to see what was wrong and maybe some preventative maintenance and to go ahead and service it again for me. I'm a Aircraft Mech and usually take care of my stuff... Service Manager called me 19 June and said the service was done and come get it. I asked what they found about not getting up to speed and he stated 64-65 was a good speed for that ski and how fast had I been on it? 71 was my answer. And I informed him I didn't care if it only went 50mph it now only goes 40mph, and that tells me something is wrong. He called back 20 June and said I had the first 2008 S/C failure with the new "brass" bearings. BRP wanted the broke S/C, I'm getting a new one, we'll call you when it's fixed. After much patience I found out about an hour ago, 17 July, I won't be picking it up on Friday. After "expressing" my desire for an answer to why I can't pick it up he informed me that - quote- "the motor is trashed"....WTF??? After further conversation about his troubleshooting methods he told me he's having to get permission (??) from BPR as he goes and he's having to send ALL parts back to BPR for research. I feel quite certain that he should have found out all of this within the first 2 days of working the ski, (especially since I made it very clear of my concern of failed S/C parts & pieces throughout the motor), but I don't want to jump to conclusions.... At this point I guess I'm looking for future advice from subject matter experts. I don't think this is Normal....

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by strick3287 View Post
    My first post and first ski. Glad I stumbled onto this site.... 2008 RXT, 20 hrs, a shudder at idle, went away, seems fine, but ski won't go over 63mph. Off to the dealer service shop, 10 June 2008. I asked them to give it the once over to see what was wrong and maybe some preventative maintenance and to go ahead and service it again for me. I'm a Aircraft Mech and usually take care of my stuff... Service Manager called me 19 June and said the service was done and come get it. I asked what they found about not getting up to speed and he stated 64-65 was a good speed for that ski and how fast had I been on it? 71 was my answer. And I informed him I didn't care if it only went 50mph it now only goes 40mph, and that tells me something is wrong. He called back 20 June and said I had the first 2008 S/C failure with the new "brass" bearings. BRP wanted the broke S/C, I'm getting a new one, we'll call you when it's fixed. After much patience I found out about an hour ago, 17 July, I won't be picking it up on Friday. After "expressing" my desire for an answer to why I can't pick it up he informed me that - quote- "the motor is trashed"....WTF??? After further conversation about his troubleshooting methods he told me he's having to get permission (??) from BPR as he goes and he's having to send ALL parts back to BPR for research. I feel quite certain that he should have found out all of this within the first 2 days of working the ski, (especially since I made it very clear of my concern of failed S/C parts & pieces throughout the motor), but I don't want to jump to conclusions.... At this point I guess I'm looking for future advice from subject matter experts. I don't think this is Normal....

Welcome to the boards!

Based on what you have posted, apparently, the SC failed in such a way that it trashed the motor entirely. When something like this happens, especially on a brand new unit, the manufacture requires that ALL parts be shipped back to them so they can inspect and find the root cause...Its a big decision by the manufacture to swap everything out, and they have to have the mechanic PROVE that it needs to be replaced, so that takes time...

Look at it this way, you are getting a brand new engine COMPLETE and installed at no cost to you

OH, and do not trust the speedo. It lies, get a GPS...

--Danny

+1
    make sure you get a new engine and send the s/c to jerry here on the online store to put riva washers in it..the new ones are coated steel but too hard..not brass..bearings are steel. Don't mess around..get the riva washers or risk going thru this again.

oops, washers not bearings.

thanks for the info.

what happens with the factory warranty after Jerry installs Riva washers? from the look of things, I'm gonna need it unless they cough up a new motor and will probably still need it then....

+1
    If my ski was in the shop for that long and the mechanic originally was going to give it back "with the motor trashed" then I'd be calling BRP myself. I'd push for a new ski and then they can "quarantine" yours and dissect it all they want.

I just ended up with a similar situation. 07 RXT, 48 hrs on it. All summer it felt like I was just slowly losing power. Talked with with local dealer/mechanic, of whom I do have faith in, and we decided that the SC was slipping. Rebuilt the SC under warranty with new OEM rebuid kit whcih included steel washers. I'm not sure whether they are coated though but mecahnic said that he hasn't had any problems with them. Also put the ceramic bearings in it. Went to the lake, ski felt like it was a stock 155hp. No pick up and go, top speed was 58-60 on speedo. Used to be 70 on speedo. Took it back to mecahnic. I said SC was slipping again and could turn the SC wheel by hand while on the engine. Talked with SeaDoo, they said maybe bolts holding flywheel assembly sheared off, so they advised to take apart the PTO and see what is going on. We took the wholle ass end of the motor apart and found NO problem. WTF!!!!. When we put the SC gear in a vice and tested the torque slip, it was slighter greater the 10ft lbs? This year now I have been in the shop for a new resonator (original one cracked and filled the hull with water), SC rebuild, speedo wheel sheared off and hood hydraulic lift at the same time, and now baock with the PTO/SC apart. HELP. SeaDoo should just give me a new ski.

+1
    insist on a compression chk. Might have water damage inside. PUt riva steel washers in..the stock steel are too brittle from what i read.

Thread Information