Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Overwhelmed!

Overwhelmed!

Hey folks.. I live on a pretty good size lake in Virginia and the wife and I want to pick up a new PWC and to be honest, I'm a complete ski noob!

Here's what we are looking for.. Something with a good, smooth, stable ride since the water out in the channels in our lake can get pretty rough (for a lake that is) I have been suffering from back problems for the last couple of years so jumping waves is not my top priority haha.. and I'm only 34!

Second.. we want to be able to wake board behind it and pull tubes and that sort of thing..

Third.. we want something pretty fast. Something that is fast out of the box and reliable. I'm not one for mods.. (I say that now huh)

Fourth.. we would prefer a three seater.. not sure why, but I hear they ride better.

Now I know this is the Sea Doo forum but I didn't see one where I could ask general questions to get unbiased answers and since the Sea Doo wake was one of the models I like I figured I'd post here.

We are currently looking at the SD wake as well as a new Kawasaki Ultra 250 but as I said before, I have no experience and would really appreciate some feedback on what might be a good make/model for what I'm looking for. I'm open to any and all makes and model suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any input

Hatcher

I dont know what the law is in Virginia but if you want to pull tubes and wakeboard then you have to have a three seater- atleast thats the way it is in Maryland. I would look into a seadoo rxt or seadoo wake-edition.

Master of the Dooniverse
    what is your spending range and are you looking for new or used, two stroke or three? 2s are cheaper and easier to fix, 4s are more reliable but heavier to move around and can be $$$ if and when somethign fails.

the hulls between the two are fairly comparable, it more depends on the year and model than the engine package.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatcher View Post
    Hey folks.. I live on a pretty good size lake in Virginia and the wife and I want to pick up a new PWC and to be honest, I'm a complete ski noob!

Here's what we are looking for.. Something with a good, smooth, stable ride since the water out in the channels in our lake can get pretty rough (for a lake that is) I have been suffering from back problems for the last couple of years so jumping waves is not my top priority haha.. and I'm only 34!

Second.. we want to be able to wake board behind it and pull tubes and that sort of thing..

Third.. we want something pretty fast. Something that is fast out of the box and reliable. I'm not one for mods.. (I say that now huh)

Fourth.. we would prefer a three seater.. not sure why, but I hear they ride better.

Now I know this is the Sea Doo forum but I didn't see one where I could ask general questions to get unbiased answers and since the Sea Doo wake was one of the models I like I figured I'd post here.

We are currently looking at the SD wake as well as a new Kawasaki Ultra 250 but as I said before, I have no experience and would really appreciate some feedback on what might be a good make/model for what I'm looking for. I'm open to any and all makes and model suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any input

Hatcher

Welcome to the boards!

If you have general questions, there is a GENERAL section down on the bottom. I can move this thread there if you would like

Reliability and long lasting ski all depend on your ability to keep normal maintenance on it...As for what ski to get, your list pretty much has nailed it down to a GTX WAKE, since you have the ballast system, tow pylon, and VTS (215 unit). If you want a basic, reliable ski, then get the 155hp version. BUT, since you stated FAST, then your choice would be the 215hp unit. You would have way more options available to you for modification for more power and speed, if you choose ...

Other brands and models offer similar items, its best to go to the dealers and check them out. Each one has its own strong points, and quirks...

--Danny

Quote Originally Posted by The Wayniac View Post
    what is your spending range and are you looking for new or used, two stroke or three? 2s are cheaper and easier to fix, 4s are more reliable but heavier to move around and can be $$$ if and when somethign fails.

the hulls between the two are fairly comparable, it more depends on the year and model than the engine package.
    Well, I was looking at buying new so I know where it's been and I can get some type of warranty. I'd say my range is up to 13k or so.. Probably looking for a four stroke.. I don't need to move the ski around and I'm a BIG fan of reliable.

Welcome!
    Heck my wife is 37 and she jumps the waves more than I go...she loves her Sea-Doo GTX, very stable-has never turned over, we rebuilt it right last year and it runs about 60 or so on the speedo, pulls anything, all good.
    Same thing on the Kawasaki STX's, they are great, use less $ oil than the Seadoo 2 strokes, pull anything, run in the high 50's...all good.
    Brother in law has a Yammi FX Crusier, its almost a boat its so big, another great one...all these are 3 seaters and I recommend each of them.

+1
    Go for the wake. It sounds like it will fill your needs the best and is a fast comfy reliable ski already set up for towing.

Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Go for the wake. It sounds like it will fill your needs the best and is a fast comfy reliable ski already set up for towing.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Welcome to the boards!

If you have general questions, there is a GENERAL section down on the bottom. I can move this thread there if you would like
    Thanks for the welcome! I saw that General discussion thread down there but I thought it said "things not related to PWC" or something to that effect. I certainly don't want post in the wrong section so if a move is in order then fire away

It sounds like a lot of people are leaning towards the wake, it sure does have the stuff I would need for what we want to do. Not a bad looking ski either.

Do you guys think the larger "muscle" ski's like the ultra 250 and the RXT-X are overkill for a noob like me that just wants to pull some friends?

I wakeboard and pull tubes behind my rxt-x all the time

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information