Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just ran my 03 gtx sc on the gps, what do you think?

I just finally ran my 03 gtx and the rpms are so low. I ran about 54.5 at 6750 rpms, what the heck is making the rpms so low? I just put a new impeller, it is a solas 12/20 with no other mods, also a new wear ring. I just don't know what could be wrong, that speed is to high I think for sc slippage and my sc inlet wheel will not spin freely but I can spin it about a quarter of a turn and it is almost cutting your fingers off. What would be your take on this?

+1
    Have you checked all ur hoses to make sure your not losing boost somewhere?? might be worth a look...

What were the rpms with the old impeller? I usually see 7550-7600 on my '03 GTX SC... Ron

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    What were the rpms with the old impeller? I usually see 7550-7600 on my '03 GTX SC... Ron
    Absolutly "Fun King Ron"

That ski should see 7600. Man, we need to know the RPM before the impeller swap. Also, just a heads up, but 6800 RPM is the magic number for SC slipping. I have heard about some members being able to turn the SC impeller 1/4 turn, but it took a lot to turn it. Supposedly it is the "play" in the engine...You are actually turning the engine components. Rather than just "looking" for a leaky hose or bad clamp, put your hands on each hose and clamp. Make sure each hose is secure and put a screw driver on each clamp to verify the clamp is tight. Test it briefly. If you still have the problem, send the SC to Jerry. He can measure each component of your SC for wear and replace the parts that should be replaced. You may just need some $2 shims. From reports, he is very quick with service and getting your SC back to you. Very quick!

Yeah I really do wish I knew the rpms before! But I really have no idea or what to do, my sc is not slipping because I can only turn it a little and it is very hard to do. Also I can hear the sc, but I have no idea why in the heck that I am running so low of rpms!!!!!!!!!!!! What would you all do if you were me in this situation, I had to throw away the old impeller because it was destroyed and looked horrible.

+1
    I'm wondering if the Solas impellar pitch is off?? I remember back in the day they use to be way off and had to be repitched. Just a thought

Pitch issues is a good thought..
    From my experience, the 12-20 is too steep for a stock 185 hp.
    But , untouched it usually get about 7200 rpm but mph is still about 60.
    This may be a s/c issue, although the 03's did not have the crappy ceramic washers that 04-07 had.
    Keep on looking.. Maybe pump itself is bad.. How did the grease look when you replaced impeller.. Do you know for sure that wear ring is correct and correct install.. Check to make sure the new green solas
    nose cone is still in correct position. I had to "glue" mine in place due to it sliding up the driveshaft toward the engine..

Yes it is the correct wear ring, and also the the grease inside the pump looked good. The nose cone on the impeller is in place, wear ring still looks new, and everything seems to be fine. I also checked all the connections and nothing at all, I am beginning to think I am never going to figure this out. I have decent speed, so that is what is stumping me. The guy I bought the wear ring and impeller from is the town pro, he works on pretty much all the skis and that is all he does is jet skis. He said the impeller is not to tall and told me to check everything you guys did, but I am not taking it to somebody when I know I can do it with the help of you smart people!
    Last edited by super_gtx; 07-18-2008 at 10:20 PM.

props

I have installed several 12/20 solas props on the185 sc,and usually I have to re pitch the props anywhere from 1to2.5mm for them to get back the rpms they lost.
    Last edited by racerxxx; 07-18-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: grammer

I ran about 54.5 at 6750 rpms
    I have descent speed, so that is what is stumping me

You do NOT have decent speed... 54.5 mph is awful for
    a 185 hp GTX.. Bone stock is 60 ish mph...
    Maybe you got a "bad" impeller.. the first one I got only gave me
    7000 rpms -- 500 less than the stock one..
    Or maybe it was a Mis boxxed or labeled wrong from the Solas factory.
    This is the only thing I can think of if all else checks out fine..
    Maybe you can pick up a used 12/20 or even a used 11/19 from a board member to try just to see if you are even going in the right direction!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information