Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marine Tex or the like???

I need to bond/seal alum to alum and be water tite, can I put marinetex between the to?
    Silicone will not seal as well or bond like the marine tex or equvilent. What say you???...PR...

dude......

JB WELD

Quote Originally Posted by Kinchyle
    dude......

JB WELD

+1
    3 Letters

TIG

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    how big of a piece are we talking? the stuff Jerry recommends to use with the skegs works awesome. i go thru the stuff like kinch goes thru JB weld.

Loctite Marine 2-part Epoxy. comes in that twin injector squeeze tube thing.

i just used the stuff a minute ago actually to glue some metal and plastic together. it holds the aluminum skegs onto the aluminum rideplate really well.

if we are talking about a large surface area, i'd say tig as well... but for small pieces and creative odd jobs i'd say ur fine with marine tex or an equal epoxy....

2 part jb weld is the strongest epoxy. Don't get the kwikset it's half as strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485
    how big of a piece are we talking? the stuff Jerry recommends to use with the skegs works awesome. i go thru the stuff like kinch goes thru JB weld.

Loctite Marine 2-part Epoxy. comes in that twin injector squeeze tube thing.

i just used the stuff a minute ago actually to glue some metal and plastic together. it holds the aluminum skegs onto the aluminum rideplate really well.

if we are talking about a large surface area, i'd say tig as well... but for small pieces and creative odd jobs i'd say ur fine with marine tex or an equal epoxy....
    OK, to be more specific:
    I am making the block off plate for the OPAS T-fitting, that is where my thru hull anodized fitting will pass thru. It is just like a hollow bolt, has a shoulder on one side and a nut on the other. I want to permanently seal this. Silicone will squish out and prolly work, but I don`t want to take any chances, so I would like something a little more solid...
    needs to bond well to alum...PR...

get the ppg distributor block off for 20 dollars or use JB Weld putty.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    kinch... he's not trying to block it off completely... he's doing custom work. he wants a plate with a fitting going thru it for his new water lines

PR.. they make any kind of bulkhead fitting, or sealing grommet that you can drill and put in place and pop the fitting thru?

oh ya....

Shibbs is right you can just tap it. That's how I did my intake so I could hook a hose to it. I used a used 2 fitting that screwed together and had barbes on the other ends. I then used rubber washers so when it screwed together it was water/air tight. I'd use some right stuff under the rubber washers too.

Ace Hardware...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information