Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help! A rxp that sinks

stock 05 rxp
    yesturday i was out at the lake and started to notice the ski take on some water, this was on the way to the trailer, started to act bottom heavy.

so today i fill it up with water, and no leaks. (from pump shoe and intake grate) figured it must have been just rough riding or somthiong...

undock it, check to see if any water comes in, nothing.

so i start it up and ride. next thing you know (2/3 min later) it starts Cavitating and once acts like it's sinking..sure enough water is up to the supercharger.....

It seams the only time water gets in is when it's running...

Could a bad driveshaft seal cause this? if so, woulent water leak out?
    thats a big loose hose to fill the hull up that quick........

im all out of ideas.....not a fun day at the lake today

+1
    Ok, check your carbon seal and its condition, second, pull your pump and make sure your prop hasnt loosened up! This happened to me after running through a rock bed ! Later the ski sank. So I did every check you just mentioned and couldnt find anything. Then after getting everything back together , I ran it down the river and it sank again, this time, hydrolocking the supercharger! So it would only leak under high rpm! Found out that the prop had loosened and caused the driveshaft to deflect against the carbon ring. Well, a new engine, pump rebulid, and superchager clutch replacement later, here I am!

your story scares me

I did have to replace the impeller/wear ring a couple weeks ago/2 rides ago...(ran over rocks)

what woul cause the impeller to be loose? the pump bolts not torqued enough? i used loctite on everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Rendog
    Ok, check your carbon seal and its condition, second, pull your pump and make sure your prop hasnt loosened up! This happened to me after running through a rock bed ! Later the ski sank. So I did every check you just mentioned and couldnt find anything. Then after getting everything back together , I ran it down the river and it sank again, this time, hydrolocking the supercharger! So it would only leak under high rpm! Found out that the prop had loosened and caused the driveshaft to deflect against the carbon ring. Well, a new engine, pump rebulid, and superchager clutch replacement later, here I am!
    Holy Crap! That sux

Tiplick: also look for leaking hose when it is running.
    Remove the seat and idlle around and see if you see anything...PR...

+1
    I believe that the rock had wedged its self momentarily in the wear ring and the prop loosening it! If I had only removed the pump and checked it after doing everything else, I would have been fine! Small check for such large consequences!

+1
    Take the engine cowling off..... run it on the trailer in the water. Look at the clear bailer tubes when giving it some throttle to see if water is being forced passed the check valves (#45)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bailer.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	4711  

If water was up to the supercharger, should i replace the oil and such?

i started it on the trailer (after a few seconds of hearing the starter) got it to turn over and return to idle...

i want to fix this thing as soon as possible...

hey thanks for the help everything i dont understand a thing about these new pwc's

world of difference bewteen a piston port 550..lol

the more i think about it..it shut off because of the water...

it wont hurt only help..

ok nevermind my stupid quesitons.....

i had something very similar happen to me.. happened a few times actually.. to different degrees.. may not be your problem, but very well could be.. if its the same as me and your plug (onthe end of your drive shaft~see link) is melted or fell out then water may not leak back out, but lets it in when the RXP is running... cavitates , etc etc... the first time this happened to me was right after a impeller change too.. it kind of sticks the first time you take it out, and thus pulls the drive shaft a bit forward (till the boot pulls it back).. but enough that the first time for me the plug had just fallen off.. .... what this does is allows the drive shaft to ride back and forth.. just enough that the carbon seal will move allowing water in to different extents depending on how much movement. nail the throttle and it may seal it for a bit, nail it again and flood.. sux, but at least its only a $5 part.. .. good luck.

http://www.greenhulk.net/4tec/showthread.php?t=2234

if the water is what made your engine shutoff, then like mine you most likely injested water... maybe someone here can tell you more on taking the plugs out one by one and crank the engine to get the water out of the cylinders.. water will shoot up a few feet if there is... there may be more details to it, don't remember, my brother was the one that got the water out for me... carefull though.. if i remember correctly its easy to ignite the gas if not done right... ~~ sorry long response

Quote Originally Posted by Rendog
    Exact same thing happened here too Dog. The prop spun loose and the hull filled with water. I was a little luckier though because before the motor had a chance to take in water the loose prop wedged itself against the plastic wear ring and shut the motor down. I pulled the seat to see what was up and there it was, a hull full of water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information