Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cavitation problem!

hey guys this is my first post on here and im excited to be a part of the community. i did a search on this problem im having and it sounds like some others are experiencing it as well.

I have an 01 gp1200r, and it is cavitating badly from idle. i have to feather the throttle and accelerate slowly until i gain some speed before i can hammer it. i recently installed the following: riva performance pump cone, pump seal kit, and intake grate, and she is still cavitating. when im at idle and i punch it the motor revs up just fine, and it sounds like the prop is spinning just fine, but it hardly moves. got any ideas? the previous owner had it in salt water and kinda neglected it a bit.

i was thinking that maybe i didnt seal the pump kit with enough silicone, but then again, i wouldnt expect this problem even if everything was stock. any help is appreciated! Thanks!

If it is that bad it is the impeller or pump that is messed up. I would look at the impeller and see if it has any nicks or dings in it. Then I would look at the veins of the pump to make sure they are okay.

+1
    How did the driveshaft spines look? Which intake grate did you buy?

It sort of sounds like you have an open path to air in the pump somewhere.

+1
    did you seal the shoe when you installed the PPK?...the rear of the shoe needs to be sealed real good where the OEM seal strip was...
    Last edited by BoostCrzy; 07-30-2008 at 10:55 AM.

wow u guys are fast. the impellar looked ok, but to be honest i didnt get in their to really inspect it. how big of a knick or ding could cause an issue (just so i have an idea what to look for). i will check tonight.

I got the riva top loader grate. i didnt look at the spines but i will.

as for the shoe, i used red rtv, but maybe not enough? per the instructions i left the oem foam strip on the shoe. should i remove it?
    Thanks!!

+1
    truthfully you dont need the rtv...but yes leave the foam strip on the back...as long as it is not damaged...if it looks damaged...pull it off and fill that whole area with 4200...NOT rtv....

it looks worn thats for sure. and sorry not to sound like an idiot but is 4200 a special marine sealant? and where can i find it?

+1
    yes it is. you can find it at west marine

Funny this post has been started, because i am having the exact same problem. I have pulled my pump apart many times and have never experienced this problem before.

I have a feeling it is not enough sealant where the stock foam pad goes. i removed mine this last time of taking the pump and shoe off. For once i was light on the 4200 because i was tired of cleaning it off everytime i pulled the pump off, and now look where it has got me.

I have check the vanes, and prop and everything looks good. i will keep ya posted if adding some more sealant works and hopefully it solves the problem. best of luck.

wagz

+1
    here you guys go real easy to follow http://www.hydrotoys.com/gpr/tuners/...Sealing%20.pdf use 4200 fast cure

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information