Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    +1
    Check all the Fuel Lines to see if they are starting to deteriorate on the inside, that would cause the Carbs. to clog up, eventually plugging the Jets and Filters inside them.

At any point did you get a large amount of water in the hull? If so you may have slurped up some water in the air intake and thrown your crank out of phase. When you check your piston, if it does have a hole in the middle it's from detonation which is cause by an out of phase crank or improperly timed engine. Let us know what you find and please post some pics...very curious to see what things are looking like.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You could also have a leaking exhaust manifold gasket, allowing water into that cylinder. But fuel would be the primary suspect.

God job killing it and pulling the spark plugs! You probably saved a bore job. Quickest way ever to diagnose.

Post us some pics if you get a chance. We may see something else going on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    To see the carnage.
    Does that Mag Piston OK?

+1
    if you are using the same fuel in the kawi, I bet its bad gas, drain both tanks and check for water,etc, change both fuel filters too. Mag doesn't look too bad, a bit dark on center.

something got real hot , either the bad gas or maybe some cooling blockage, on the intake or outlet jammed up?

I'm going to the bad gas because of both, ods are they both didn't get carb blockage......

TLR
    Last edited by TLR; 07-19-2008 at 08:41 PM.

The pics are a bit hard to make out any real detail due to the size of them. But when seeing the piston with the burnt out portion on the exhaust side, I would say it ran very lean. Typically lean seizure will scuff the exhuast side of the cylinder. Also, because there is a hole in it where it melted down, that too means it became extremely hot. Most often times, temps like that usually get seen from detonation or absolutely no cooling what so ever. Personally I would need a little more convincing about the fuel if it's not ethanol being used. Mainly because the other piston is so dark. I'm not familiar with the 951's as far as if they're carbed or injected, but if the timing is good and the crank is true...start looking for plugged cooling lines, fuel delivery blockages (carbs or injectors) and/or bad gaskets...if air gets in anywhere but the airbox you can expect a lot of trouble. Let us know what you find.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    I'm going to guess water ingestion. Had your head ever been retorqued?

I agree XP, that was my first thought too in my earlier posting. It's odd how it's always the PTO side that does that. I used to work on Polaris back 5 years ago or so and they were terrible for that problem. As mentioned, it was almost always on the PTO side it would detonate and burn a hole through the piston. Just as you and I believe, it was water ingestion that threw the crank out of phase every time. If you want to consider this a plus side you would see some awesome power increases for what little time it would run like that

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
    I agree XP, that was my first thought too in my earlier posting. It's odd how it's always the PTO side that does that. I used to work on Polaris back 5 years ago or so and they were terrible for that problem. As mentioned, it was almost always on the PTO side it would detonate and burn a hole through the piston. Just as you and I believe, it was water ingestion that threw the crank out of phase every time. If you want to consider this a plus side you would see some awesome power increases for what little time it would run like that
    Just on a side note, if you need a new piston for it i have one i bought thats brand new that ill be more than glad to sell to you ... stock bore WSM! all you need to buy is gaskets and the wrist pin bearings

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information