Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil pump blockoff on a 1999 XL1200LTD

I'm putting in an oil pump block off plate in a 1999 XL 1200. I must not have ordered the 'Kit', because the plate didn't come with the little plugs to seal the oil ports on the carbs. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to use to block off those ports? I'm looking for something that is extremely low cost or may already laying around the house/shop.

I've tried searching, but I haven't found any ideas.....

Thanks,

Im in the same situation on my 99 GP1200, any help guys?

I found some vacuum caps at my local auto parts store. I think that the package of 5 was about 2 bucks. Just put 'em on and zip tie them.

Marley Creek, MD
    Shove some small bolts (preferably with a 'shoulder' to seal to the hose, rather than threads) in the hoses and secure with a ziptie on each line.

You did say cheap and laying around the house right?

(don't blame me if it creates a vacuum leak and a piston goes lean)

Quote Originally Posted by blu4ce View Post
    I found some vacuum caps at my local auto parts store. I think that the package of 5 was about 2 bucks. Just put 'em on and zip tie them.
    I do believe that is the answer...vacuum caps

Quote Originally Posted by 95yami701 View Post
    Shove some small bolts (preferably with a 'shoulder' to seal to the hose, rather than threads) in the hoses and secure with a ziptie on each line.
    Maybe I am missing something but I think he is removing the oil pump and all he needs to do is seal the fitting to the carbs not the oil lines to the carbs

Marley Creek, MD
    Quote Originally Posted by roost5o View Post
    Maybe I am missing something but I think he is removing the oil pump and all he needs to do is seal the fitting to the carbs not the oil lines to the carbs

Yah u can seal the barbs on the carbs themselves.

Or you can seal the hoses/lines that go to the carbs. Either way, it is sealed. The vacuum port caps are just a capped hose... so why not just cap your own hose.

Or you could remove the barbs and plug the hole. Or you could solder or braze the brass barbshut. Or you could flip one of the little 1 way valve and connect the 2 hoses. Or you could....

Yah u can seal the barbs on the carbs themselves.

Or you can seal the hoses/lines that go to the carbs. Either way, it is sealed. The vacuum port caps are just a capped hose... so why not just cap your own hose.
    ...or eliminate everything and cap the fitting at the carbs for a cleaner look and less shate.

Marley Creek, MD
    Quote Originally Posted by roost5o View Post
    ...or eliminate everything and cap the fitting at the carbs for a cleaner look and less shate.

Or eliminate the trip to the auto parts store when you're excited about taking the ski out for a blast around the lake and you're already pushing nightfall and the part store is a 2 hour round trip and the wifey is asking 'is it gonna take you much longer' and the kids are screaming about wanting to go to the lake and slide down the slide with mommy and the dog is chasing the cat around the garage and and all you neeeeeeed is to find two little damn bolts and one larger one (to block of the oil tank) and three zipties and everybody will calm down and you can finally have a fricggkin cold beer and tell the wifey 'not much longer, okay i'm done, lets go' and you can worry about making it look better later when all hell hasn't broken loose and chaos is present and protagingly imminent and once i get this stupid little old boat on the water there is nothing to think about but the blast of the wind,the comfort of the water rifting, and no wifey, no kids, no dog, no cat, just me and my crappy old ski on this old beautiful lake and the 50 mph wind whipping by my ears and the scream of the 2stroke humming through me and; yah i guess you're right, i'd rather pack up the minivan and drive to the parts store,
    i'd even invite the inlaw to come join in the high excitement of the auto parts store and offer my services as a JiffyLubeMan and ask her if i should pick up stuff for her oil change while i'm there and listen to her 45 minute rant about how she doesn't believe in this derg dernned new 'sintatech' oil everybody is using and how back in her day they just took the oil out of their tractor and used in the car and their engine never blew up and how they only ever drove the car to church and god was looking over her clump of steel and amalgamated plastic not the fact that church was across the road and the car rotted into pieces with only 1200 mile on it cuz they never drove it and how that tractor oil sure was good stuff......

Sorry i offered suggestions as per the o.p.'s question. Won't happen again.

And to add CONTENT to the thread, you could also put a vacuum gauge on there so you can monitor your vacuum at a glance.

WTF you are cracking me up...i was not trying to offend but you may need to get on some meds...you might need to go get LOOKED AT ASAP...I am laughin my arse off right now...I feel ya dude

Or eliminate the trip to the auto parts store when you're excited about taking the ski out for a blast around the lake and you're already pushing nightfall and the part store is a 2 hour round trip and the wifey is asking 'is it gonna take you much longer' and the kids are screaming about wanting to go to the lake and slide down the slide with mommy and the dog is chasing the cat around the garage and and all you neeeeeeed is to find two little damn bolts and one larger one (to block of the oil tank) and three zipties and everybody will calm down and you can finally have a fricggkin cold beer and tell the wifey 'not much longer, okay i'm done, lets go' and you can worry about making it look better later when all hell hasn't broken loose and chaos is present and protagingly imminent and once i get this stupid little old boat on the water there is nothing to think about but the blast of the wind,the comfort of the water rifting, and no wifey, no kids, no dog, no cat, just me and my crappy old ski on this old beautiful lake and the 50 mph wind whipping by my ears and the scream of the 2stroke humming through me and; yah i guess you're right, i'd rather pack up the minivan and drive to the parts store,
    i'd even invite the inlaw to come join in the high excitement of the auto parts store and offer my services as a JiffyLubeMan and ask her if i should pick up stuff for her oil change while i'm there and listen to her 45 minute rant about how she doesn't believe in this derg dernned new 'sintatech' oil everybody is using and how back in her day they just took the oil out of their tractor and used in the car and their engine never blew up and how they only ever drove the car to church and god was looking over her clump of steel and amalgamated plastic not the fact that church was across the road and the car rotted into pieces with only 1200 mile on it cuz they never drove it and how that tractor oil sure was good stuff......

Sorry i offered suggestions as per the o.p.'s question. Won't happen again.

And to add CONTENT to the thread, you could also put a vacuum gauge on there so you can monitor your vacuum at a glance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information