Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are sponsons REALLY needed?

In an effort to increase the ski's displacement until I save up enough for a 230 wake, I have observed several things. I've added Launch pad ballast bags and have seen a slight increase in wake size. Then I noticed the sponsons provide a lot of lift for the ski but does this in turn push the rear of the ski down? What would be the effect if they were removed completely? I don't do crazy handling maneuvers when we go boarding. We put the ski in and the cove we board in is like 1/4 mile away.

+1
    Stability! Ask Jerry if Sponsons are needed. One of his fell off this year, a day or two before Mudbug. He said the ski was riding like it was leaning to one side. Also, I imagine if they were removed, the ski would wobble-wobble when idle or turned off on water.

most of the older cruisers didnt have them, mine old waverunner 3 didnt have them but it had a good 60 hp so if your only going 20 to 23 i said try it but dont go any faster than 25

jerry's ski is a monster gprxp that goes 96 mph and remember he lost one which would make him bite into one side

+1
    I have the Riva adjustable sponsons on mine and desided one day to play around with the settings..First i had them all the way down and the ski felt great,handled great,turned great it was real stable at high speeds.
    Next i put them up one notch,Could tell a differance when making slow speed turns..Ski didnt want to turn as easy as it did when they were all the way down.Also at high speeds the ass end of the ski felt like it wanted to dance a little,didnt feel as stable but still ridable.
    Finally i put them all the way up..Bad news..Steering at low speeds was god awfull.Could hardly steer unless i was on the gas.High speeds forget it..I never did get ti up to high speeds the ass end was all over.enough for me to say Forget this..So i could imagine if you took the sponsons completely off you would have yourself a very unsafe and unpredictable ski at speed..JMO though...

i would try it by yourself going pretty slow but if you are on a small lake that you cant wakeboard straight for a long time i wouldnt take them off

Or the other option make real good friends with someone that has wakeboard boat

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scarp9 View Post
    most of the older cruisers didnt have them, mine old waverunner 3 didnt have them but it had a good 60 hp so if your only going 20 to 23 i said try it but dont go any faster than 25

jerry's ski is a monster gprxp that goes 96 mph and remember he lost one which would make him bite into one side

Right! If they were not functional, then his ski would not have leaned after it lost the sponson. It would have stayed level.

A lot of the older skis are not stable when turned off or idle on water. You start to lean one way, and...wooowa...wooowa...wooowa...kirsploosh!

yea i done that multiple times especially since i hit the scales at about 245 wet

But maybe ill be able to experience then new stabilty of the new skis if i could find one and the no wake rule on our lakes are lifted
    Last edited by scarp9; 07-18-2008 at 03:36 PM.

+1
    lol..kirsploosh!

I can only flip my ski when riding it out of control.

+1
    SPONSONS are Necessary !

nevermind if bille says they are needed i wouldnt try it

But how much more wake would you get?

Its really hard to ride behind a pwc as you have experienced a boat with a tower with make all the difference

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information