HELP! XL1200 Ride plate/pump shoe brackets

I bought from Island Racing a set of flat brackets for the ride plate and pump shoe to replace "all" my insert nuts. I tried calling them but they don't answer their phone and they didn't return my call. I'm hoping someone here can answer my installation questions:

1. I have grinded/sanded the insert nut "cradles" on the inside of the hull. However, there is additional material under them (about the size of a quarter & about 1/8" high). Do I grind that down too? If I don't grind that down, the brackets will not sit flat (flush) with the hull. They will sit approximately an 1/8" off the hull. Should they sit flat or should they be raised? Please advise/explain.

2. Is it necessary to "glue" them in? I know the area(s) where the bolts holes should be sealed, but do I seal (glue) then entire bar? What should I use?

Thanks,

Brad Bealing
    Hanover, PA

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bbealing View Post
    I bought from Island Racing a set of flat brackets for the ride plate and pump shoe to replace "all" my insert nuts. I tried calling them but they don't answer their phone and they didn't return my call. I'm hoping someone here can answer my installation questions:

1. I have grinded/sanded the insert nut "cradles" on the inside of the hull. However, there is additional material under them (about the size of a quarter & about 1/8" high). Do I grind that down too? If I don't grind that down, the brackets will not sit flat (flush) with the hull. They will sit approximately an 1/8" off the hull. Should they sit flat or should they be raised? Please advise/explain.

2. Is it necessary to "glue" them in? I know the area(s) where the bolts holes should be sealed, but do I seal (glue) then entire bar? What should I use?

Thanks,

Brad Bealing
    Hanover, PA
    Yes you want a flat surface, and clean with some acetone

Yes glue them in... I use 5200 fast cure. Put a circle of sealant around the bolt holes and a long connecting bead in the middle.

Thanks for your help! I did just what you said & they fit perfectly.

Thread Information