Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Taking on water

Taking on water

(Long story)....
    I took my ski out today and road for about 1/2 hour. All of a sudden it lost power and shut off. When it came to a stop it was full of water. I took it home, drained it, pulled the spark plugs and cranked it over (it was dry). Pulled the dipstick and oil was ok. I pulled the intake grate, inspected the tunnel and hull and everything looks good. That and the fact that the water doesn't drain out of the hull unless I pull the drain plugs led me to believe a loose hose was dumping it into the hull. I unhooked the intercooler hose to the throttlebody and start it up. Water does spray out of the hose for a few seconds then it dries up. I reattach it and hook the garden hose up. Still can't find any leaks inside the hull. I decide to take the ski back to the lake and run it on the trailer. Still can't find any leaks, so decide to take it for a test ride. Ski will only turn 7800 rpm but runs ok. After about 15 minutes I hear a "clunk" and then the rpm's start dropping. I limp it back to the trailer with max rpm at 6600. Get back and have a few inches of water in the hull. Retest everything on the trailer and can't get it to take on any more water WTF???

Do a search.. I've read something here that the X models have
    a hose leak issue.. BRP knows about it as well.. I think it's an easy fix, just a pita for all The $$ spent on a new boat.
    The info may even be in 1 of the sticky threads at the top.

carbon seal

ive heard of the seal leaking only under load or while driving. the tork of the motor throws the alignment off with the drive shaft. check ur motor mounts

Thanks guys! I am "searching" now and will check my motor mounts in the morning

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I say misaligned motor or driveshaft prematurely wore out carbon seal. only leaks when under load. The clunk and lower rpm's no idea. May be time to use that warranty.

Tip the ski up as much as possible while on the trailer, fill the engine compartment with water (over the drive shaft), but make sure to not cover the air inlet with water. See if it is leaking OUT of the hull anywhere. Then start the ski and let it idle for a while. Check for leaks, if water is coming in it has to go out when you fill the engine compartment.

I found my carbon seal leaking using this method.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HighPSI View Post
    (Long story)....
    I took my ski out today and road for about 1/2 hour. All of a sudden it lost power and shut off. When it came to a stop it was full of water. I took it home, drained it, pulled the spark plugs and cranked it over (it was dry). Pulled the dipstick and oil was ok. I pulled the intake grate, inspected the tunnel and hull and everything looks good. That and the fact that the water doesn't drain out of the hull unless I pull the drain plugs led me to believe a loose hose was dumping it into the hull. I unhooked the intercooler hose to the throttlebody and start it up. Water does spray out of the hose for a few seconds then it dries up. I reattach it and hook the garden hose up. Still can't find any leaks inside the hull. I decide to take the ski back to the lake and run it on the trailer. Still can't find any leaks, so decide to take it for a test ride. Ski will only turn 7800 rpm but runs ok. After about 15 minutes I hear a "clunk" and then the rpm's start dropping. I limp it back to the trailer with max rpm at 6600. Get back and have a few inches of water in the hull. Retest everything on the trailer and can't get it to take on any more water WTF???
    What kind of reduction nozzle do you have? If its an 06 RXP nozzle make sure you put in the siphone tubes, without them water will be forced thru the bailer tubes into the hull.

+1
    Don't screw around with it, get it to your dealer it's under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by _Lurker_ View Post
    Tip the ski up as much as possible while on the trailer, fill the engine compartment with water (over the drive shaft), but make sure to not cover the air inlet with water. See if it is leaking OUT of the hull anywhere. Then start the ski and let it idle for a while. Check for leaks, if water is coming in it has to go out when you fill the engine compartment.
    I did as you said and could not get any water to come out. I tried wiggling the engine to see if the motor mounts were loose. I am going to try and figure it out tomorrow. If I can't, it's off to Riva Monday morning. Is there a better way to check the motor mounts/alignment? I really appreciate ALL the advice you guys are giving me

Took the intercooler and exhaust out and can't find anything wrong. The motor mounts "appear" fine and the bolts are tight. Anything else I should check before I put it back together?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information