Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RXP-Taking on water

I went out yesterday to test my new repitched impeller. Good speed however still on the rev limiter 8450 rpms. I made two passes and stoped to answer a call. Cranked back up and it felt like I had something stuck in my pump so I put on trailer and could not find anything in pump pulled the seat off to find water up to the sc. Took it home and did not find any cracks or hoses off. I found that the carrier seal does not meet up with ring there is a gap between them. Has anyone else run into this?

David

+1
    I've personally never had this problem. If i were you i would hook it up to a hose and run the engine and check for leaks.

Are you sure none of the little bailer tube hoses havent come off?

Jerry, One of the first things I checked was the bailer tubes they were fine. I replaced those zip ties with clamps a long time ago. Before I left the lake I drained out all water then backed back in while ski was on the trailer and the water was coming into the hull very quickly. It almost looks like the hose that holds the carbon ring is too short.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXPDAVID
    Jerry, One of the first things I checked was the bailer tubes they were fine. I replaced those zip ties with clamps a long time ago. Before I left the lake I drained out all water then backed back in while ski was on the trailer and the water was coming into the hull very quickly. It almost looks like the hose that holds the carbon ring is too short.
    rxp david carry to house put in plgs and run water hose in hull and watch for water to leak also if you got a digital camera post us a pic of gap

+1
    Look at that carbon ring, if there's a gap in it, you need to tighten it.

You can do that by loosening the back clamp on the boot and sliding the boot closer to the ring. It's not going to always line up perfectly but it should be tight all the way around.

Or just take it to the dealer.

Hope and pray you don't have cracked fiberglass under the drive shaft and in the pump shoe like me and another guy!

This is very interesting.... Could the higher rpms potenially cause that carbon ring to back off or come loose?

David, please keep us up to date with any new info as you come across it.

+1
    i sure hope not! If we start seeing problems i guess i'll have to go to the Rotax Racing 2 piece coupled driveshaft ($1650.00)

water in hull

Finshed riding today hull had 3 inches of water in it checked on line shop manual only showed part 34 support ring and part 40 carbon ring mates up for a water seal didnt see any other kind of seal there.

Sorry it took so long to get back I have been very busy however, here is what I found.. It appears that the riva air intake was putting preasure on the hose and carbon ring pushing it out of alignment therefore the carbon ring was worn uneven. I pickup new hose and carbon ring today and will replace and keep you informed. If you have the riva or mdified air intake keep a check on this. It takes on the water very quickly. I may look into changing this to a carrier baearing type like we did on the 96 xp's.

David

+1
    I noticed the same thing ... I just put my Riva air filter on last weekend and only have 4 hours on since installation, but the pressure it puts on the hose/carbon ring definitely bugged me. Mine does not leak (yet) but I played with that quite a bit trying to reduce the pressure on the seal ... but could not eliminate it. I wondered if everyone had the same problem and if it would cause a leak later ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information