Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'96 XP - been sitting 2 years - new battery - no start

OK.....my poor '96 XP has been sitting unused for 2 years. I just put a new battery in it. Two beeps when the lanyard is attached. Nothing but a click when I hit the start button.

Most likely suspects??

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    starter is locked up, starter solenoid is bad, Bad, corroded ground. Just to name a few... might want to try this. take out the spark plugs and see if you can turn the PTO by hand. If you can its one of the above if not pull the head and see what kind of shape the head, pistons, and cylinders look like. the pistons may be siezed to the walls of the cylinders
    Last edited by airbornexp; 07-18-2008 at 09:23 PM.

With the plugs out, I can spin the PTO. Thank goodness. So, seized pistons doesn't seem to be the problem (I guess it pays to fog the engine prior to extended periods of non use!).

That being the case, are there any good "how to's" as far as checking the starter, solenoid, etc.? I have not found any corrosion on any of the wires or any bad grounds. Yet.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    With the plugs out, I can spin the PTO. Thank goodness. So, seized pistons doesn't seem to be the problem (I guess it pays to fog the engine prior to extended periods of non use!).

That being the case, are there any good "how to's" as far as checking the starter, solenoid, etc.? I have not found any corrosion on any of the wires or any bad grounds. Yet.
    +1 million on that one. you did good on that! For the ground you basically have to unhook it, sand it, reinstall. As for the starter,personally, I hit it with a hammer to "unlock" the starter. if it works then you need a new starter. always worked on my truck anyways. for the solenoid, im not sure. If you have connection with a pair of pliars , that might be it. I am currently have your same problem.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    Pull the lid on the rear black box. Short the two big terminals on the solenoid to confirm contacts are good. If the starter turns, the solenoid is bad. If not...take a jumper cable and make a temporary ground from the engine to battery ground. Try it again through the lanyard, make sure everything is reconnected in the black box too. If it turns over, the battery ground is bad and needs replacing. If not, and you KNOW you have a good battery, then the starter is bad.

As Airborne said tapping on the starter with a hammer dislodges the brushes inside and allows them to make contact. But if you have to do this after the initial time, the starter is on it's last leg.

OK, when I short the terminals on the solenoid, the starter turned. Therefore, pick up new solenoid. Is there anything else I should check while I am in there, or is that likely the sole culprit?

Where are the fuses on this ski? I have never opened the grey electrical box up front; is the fuse there?

+1
    no fuses in the front grey box if i remember correctly. 2 fuses in the rear electrical box. 15amp and a 7.5amp for the vts

Master of the Dooniverse
    there's 15 amp and 5 amp on the MPEM on the *-510 unit in the gray box.

Would the experts out there conclude that I need a new starter relay? Is there anything else to check (i.e. possible other bad parts) before ordering it?

BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
    relay or a bad connection

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information