Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'91 SuperJet - been sitting 2 years - new battery - no start

My '91 Superjet has been sitting unused for a couple of years. I just replaced the battery, and all I get is a click from starter relay. I am going through the manual, testing the various electric components. Either my tester is on the fritz, or I am getting some goofy readings on the rectifier regulator, coil, and plug wires. All of these components are original if you can believe it, so I imagine it wouldn't hurt to replace them.

Where is the best place to look for replacement parts, and are OEM or aftermarket parts preferred?

Anything else I should be looking at? This ski has been "old faithful" for years......has always started on the first try.

+1
    You probably do have rust or corrosion on electrics..you might get some contact cleaner and scotchbrite pads to clean the front cover pick-ups and electrics. Sometimes this will help...also check your start relay and make sure it is functioning properly, when you get another meter.

Tell me if this makes sense:

Starter relay clicks nice and loud when power applied, therefore I assume it is OK. Safe assumption?

Rectifier Regulator - ohm readings with "should be" ranges from manual in parentheses:
    R+B- 75 (2-20) R+G1- 10 (1-10) R+G2- 10 (1-10)
    B+R- inf (inf) B+G1- inf (2-15) B+G2- inf (2-15)
    G1+R- inf (inf) G1+B- 11 (1-10) G1+G2- inf (3-30)
    G2+R- inf (inf) G2+B- 11 (1-10) G2+G1- inf (3-30)

Coil 3.5 (.092)

Plug wires inf (4.1)

Do I need a new tester, or are the rectifier regulator, coil, and plug wires all out of spec needing to be replaced?

If I short across the relays of the starter relay, I get nothing. If I jump from the battery positive terminal to the starter terminal, the starter does crank.

Does this mean the starter relay is ok, and it is perhaps another electrical component such as the rectifier regulator, coil, or plug wires?

With plugs out, I can spin the drive shaft, so no it doesn't appear that there is any piston seizing.

All of these components are original; i.e. 17 years old.
    Last edited by Desert Rat; 07-21-2008 at 01:12 PM.

+1
    sounds to me like your starter needs replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by wetwolf View Post
    sounds to me like your starter needs replacing.
    So if the starter cranks when jumped to the battery, it means the starter needs replacing? I would have thought that means the starter is ok.

+1
    oops, my bad. I missed that. never mind.

Da Wolf

I seem to be having the same problem. I haven't had a lot of time to really dig into yet but symptons are the same. I am working on a 98 GP760. I think if you short across the starter relay and get nothing then the relay is bad. Feel free to read and or jump in my post. getting some info on trouble shooting the problem now. "Electrical (Starting) help.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 & 98 GP760 View Post
    I seem to be having the same problem. I haven't had a lot of time to really dig into yet but symptons are the same. I am working on a 98 GP760. I think if you short across the starter relay and get nothing then the relay is bad. Feel free to read and or jump in my post. getting some info on trouble shooting the problem now. "Electrical (Starting) help.
    I actually think it is the reverse of what you are saying. If you only get a click when hitting the start button (starter not cranking), but you do get the starter cranking when shorting across the starter relay, I believe that means your starter relay needs to be replaced. In other words, the internals in the relay are not allowing the juice to flow to get to the starter.....when you short it, you bypass the internals of the starter relay. So, if what I am suggesting is correct, then if you get nothing when shorting across the starter relay terminals, the problem lies within another component.

I only THINK I know what I am talking about, so please chime in on this.

OK, I was just told if you jump across the starter and it cranks then it is your starter relay that is bad. agree?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information