Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'91 Superjet - been sitting 2 years - new battery - no start

My '91 Superjet has been sitting unused for a couple of years. I just replaced the battery, and all I get is a click from starter relay. I am going through the manual, testing the various electric components. Either my tester is on the fritz, or I am getting some goofy readings on the rectifier regulator, coil, and plug wires. All of these components are original if you can believe it, so I imagine it wouldn't hurt to replace them.

Where is the best place to look for replacement parts, and are OEM or aftermarket parts preferred?

Anything else I should be looking at? This ski has been "old faithful" for years......has always started on the first try.

+1
    watercraftsalvage.com has good prices on used parts. There is not an aftermarket source for the electrical parts you need.

no need to replace perfectly good used 20 year old parts for some new 20 year old parts. Check your ground strap going to the engine and make sure it hasnt worked loose. The clicking sound is the start cylinoid which engages your starter. Make sure you can turn the motor over by hand(makeing sure its not locked up for some reason) If it still wont turn over then replace the starter. You can buy one on ebay for about 40 bucks.

The starter relay clicks when the start button is depressed.

When I short across the terminals of the starter relay, nothing happens.

When I jump from the battery to the starter, the starter turns.

With spark plugs removed, I can turn driveshaft, so there are no apparent piston seizing issues.

Would this suggest that the starter relay is ok, and that the problem lies with the rectifier regulator, coil, or plug wires?
    Last edited by Desert Rat; 07-21-2008 at 01:13 PM.

+1
    I wouldn't think it would be the plug wires because if they did have a problem it would be causin it to not spark when it is cranking over. But a good way to check would be to see if it does indeed spark when you push the starter. I dont no if it would still spark or not.

Marley Creek, MD
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    The starter relay clicks when the start button is depressed.

When I short across the terminals of the starter relay, nothing happens.

When I jump from the battery to the starter, the starter turns.

With spark plugs removed, I can turn driveshaft, so there are no apparent piston seizing issues.

Would this suggest that the starter relay is ok, and that the problem lies with the rectifier regulator, coil, or plug wires?

Bad wire. Either from +battery to the relay, or from the relay to the starter. Ohm them with a multimeter, should have VERY low resistance. --- or, jump from battery to relay, if it works then (with switch) there is your bad wire. then from relay to starter, if it works then (with switch), thats the bad wire.

gl

If you jumped straight to the starter and it turned over.. but jumped between the solenoid and got nothing(which is basicly jumping from the battery to the starter) means bad battery wire, or wire from solenoid to starter.
    OR bad ground which would do the same thing. The ignition components have nothing to do with the starter or the start solenoid.

You guys are right on the money. The lead to the starter didn't look very dirty or corroded......but I took it off, sanded it down a bit, and voila! It turns over. This is why I love forums such as these! And thank you for not letting me go buy parts when not necessary.......looks like my 17 year old components still work! Pretty amazing given that this ski was ridden in salt water for the first 6 years of its life, but I'll take it!

Thanks for the help!

Marley Creek, MD
    Clean the rest of them up too, including ground, in case you didn't already.

Where exactly IS the ground? Is it on the bottom of the starter? Do I need to remove the starter to get to it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information