Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SHO ECM Info From R&D

This info is from PWI magazine, august 2008. Information is from the guys at R&D, Glen Dickenson and Bill Chapin, engineers for R&D.
    Quote:

The shos innovative fly by wire system is a double edged sword.While the advanced computer monitors and regulates the timing,spark,fuel,air,exhaust and temperatures therein, it also guards against modifications.
    With larger injectors and the massaged supercharger, the 1.8 quickly and hungrily revved up.And when it surpassed the preset limit slightly, its brain cut the fuel that was freewheeling untill it sunk below the designated redline.
    Replacing the fuel pump only befuddled the ecu,which backed off the fuel pressure.
    Internal changes resulted in caution codes, killing the engine.
    Untill the black magic within the ecu is deciphered,no number of bolt on parts will make much of a difference for the sho.
    Unquote...
    Ross

+1
    Thank goodness for the soon to be released Riva SHO ECU which will get rid of all those fail safes

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Thank goodness for the soon to be released Riva SHO ECU which will get rid of all those fail safes

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    +1

Lets just wait and see

I have an FXHO. I also ride an FZ1 bike. They share more or less the same engine and electronics.

The aftermarket tuners have not been able to crack the Yamaha ECU for a bike that has ben around for a few years now. They have to piggy back a PC111 on the bike to get any difference in performance.

If Riva can crack the ECU on the SHO they will have achieved something that no other tuner on the planet has been able to achieve with any Yamaha ECU. My gut tells me that they will provide an additional module to alter timing and fuel maps that hooks into the oem ECU.

Happy to be proved wrong but there are lots of guys riding R1s and FZ1s with stock ECUs and a PC111 because no one has ever cracked Yamaha's black box.

I look forward to se what Riva can do with this as it will open up so much potential for bikes as well as pwcs.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    well....Jerry wont make a quote if it isn't true.....he knows things we underlings dont.......so I'm hoping for all our sakes that they cracked the little black box...not only for the SHO's but for all the Yammis.....
    Wow...the trickle down profit from this tuning upgrade is gonna be huge for Riva if they can expand it to these other machines/markets....

+1
    so much for the so called RUO code !!!!

riva has a "new" ECU

the only way to unlock this beast

pete you are a d#ck, i will repeat again for id#ots like you

Riva has the performance yamaha contract, thats why when you buy riva products it is under warranty dur

When you say mods make no difference are you saying that we are wasting our many on the aftermarket parts we are buying? For myself I think the SHO is plenty fast and think the mods like the ride plate, the sponsons, and the intake grate are great because of the improve handling and performance of the ski. Now I am not saying I would not like it to go a little faster which I thing with the Air flow kit and the exhuast that can be achieved. I will leave the really fast stuff to you guys. I hope all you guys find what you looking for in your skis, but no matter what these are fun skis. Tom

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Ellena View Post
    When you say mods make no difference are you saying that we are wasting our many on the aftermarket parts we are buying? For myself I think the SHO is plenty fast and think the mods like the ride plate, the sponsons, and the intake grate are great because of the improve handling and performance of the ski. Now I am not saying I would not like it to go a little faster which I thing with the Air flow kit and the exhuast that can be achieved. I will leave the really fast stuff to you guys. I hope all you guys find what you looking for in your skis, but no matter what these are fun skis. Tom
    What was found out was that you could only go so far with the SHO, then the ECU kicked in. With just the performer kit I saw a SHO do 71mph on the GPS, and it ran side by side with my T-X from zero to about 60mph. Once you try to do stuff with the engine/fuel/SC, the ECU kicks in and screws things up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information