Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help 95 xp mystery oil leak!!!!!!!

i have a 95 xp 720 motor. it has straight oil leaking right out of the exhaust in the back of the hull. just drips right out. motor has 150psi of compression in both cylinders. please help me.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Your crank seals are probably leaking oil into the cases, or the cases themselves (the 518 gives up and allows it to leak), and when it runs all this excess oil gets dumped into the exhaust system. Is it smoking excessively when you first start it up after sitting a few days?
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 07-20-2008 at 09:04 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Your crank seals are probably leaking oil into the cases, or the cases themselves (the 518 gives up and alloes it to leak), and when it runs all this excess oil gets dumped into the exhaust system. Is it smoking excessively when you first start it up after sitting a few days?
    +1, ditto on dat

yeah it does seem to smoke alot after sitting. but it just runs to good. it doesnt foul out the plugs or anything.motor is still very strong. is there anyway that the oil injection could be stuck and just dumping way too much oil. or is it just a worn out seal.

You can check the cam on the front cover to see if it is operating properly. If it isn't fouling plugs...don't worry about it.

can you tell me the part numbers for the crank seals or someone can help me the pictures for the engine are a little confusing thank you.

95% of the time it isn''t the seals. The crank has to be disassembled by a machinist anyway to replace them. You can pull the engine, turn upside-down and remove the bottom case. Degrease and clean all surfaces with carb cleaner, and reinstall with Three Bond 1211 sealer. This will correct your probelem.

do i have to dissassemble the cylinders or heads? to get the bottom case off. or will it just split. i plan to pull the engine out tomorrow and do this. is there anything else i should look for when i have the lower part of the case off?

No to everything.

well fixed the problem with the mystery oil leak thank you for your advice. have a new problem now runs great for a half hour then gets real boggy and doesnt want to rev out. before it gets that bad it just looses top end very slowly. any ideas i was told i need new carbs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information